HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Bleat calls do they realy work? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/211525-bleat-calls-do-they-realy-work.html)

bayou_buckslayer 10-11-2007 03:28 PM

Bleat calls do they realy work?

I had a hunt when it was getting dark and i just messed around and used my bleat call 10minutes passed and a big ole doe stepped out was itthe bleat call or true luck? if u hav had any hunts like dat type ur story

hunthunt 10-11-2007 03:36 PM

RE: Bleat calls do they realy work?

Luck those are pieces of crap!

RugerM77.270 10-11-2007 03:52 PM

Hi There I'm new and this is my first post.

I have tried to use bleats in the past never to much avail though. Does and bucks alike would just look in my direction and then look away. I did use a buck grunt last year and kept a doe in the field for 20 minutes. She was on the neighboring property and every times she would leave the field and enter the woods I would grunt and she would come back out. I couldn't et her to cross the fence though.

bayou_buckslayer 10-11-2007 04:03 PM

thanks for posting i appreciate it and my bleat was a fawn in distress it worked and brought in a massive doe thanks again for posting God Bless

DBerrard 10-11-2007 08:48 PM

If you ever get a chance to watch Primo's Mastering The Art Guide To Calling Deer DVD, do so.
They have two kids, around ages 6-8, calling with a fawn distress call. Doe after doe come rushing to the call. It was fun to watch 'em having fun with the calling.
It's a call best for early season at best, as does natural instincts will have them come in and see if they can't help the fawn..even if they know it's not their own fawn. Perhaps a bear has the fawn or it's stuck somehow, a doe will come running in to see if it can't help out in someway.

jd3006 10-11-2007 09:17 PM

I wouldn't hunt without my doe bleat. It's a Woodswise Buck-n-Doe with a grunt call on one end and a doe bleat on the other end.This is not a fawn distress call but an adult doe bleat. I've called in and killed 4 bucks and several does using the doe bleat. I know it's not luck because deer have run in right under my treestand and actually bleated thamselves in response to my calls. It does not work all the time, maybe once or twice a year or less, but when it works it's awesome. So I carry it and call every time I hunt. I've never had a response to the buck grunt that I know of.

StillHunter90 10-11-2007 09:30 PM

I havent shot any deer with the bleat but have called in does.

Wingbone 10-12-2007 03:30 AM

I've had much better success using a bleat call than a grunt call. I get an opportunity every year.

nchawkeye 10-12-2007 05:06 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: jd3006

I wouldn't hunt without my doe bleat. It's a Woodswise Buck-n-Doe with a grunt call on one end and a doe bleat on the other end.This is not a fawn distress call but an adult doe bleat. I've called in and killed 4 bucks and several does using the doe bleat. I know it's not luck because deer have run in right under my treestand and actually bleated thamselves in response to my calls. It does not work all the time, maybe once or twice a year or less, but when it works it's awesome. So I carry it and call every time I hunt. I've never had a response to the buck grunt that I know of.
[quote]

That's one of the best and least known calls out there, not sure if it's still being made..My hunting buddy and I have used that one for years, using both the buck grunt and doe contact bleat...I've still got the video that came with it, good info as well...What ever happened to Jerry Peterson??

I like that call so much, I have 2 extra, still in the pack in my hunting cabinet.

Oh yea...Bleat calls work, but like scents, you really have to know what you are doing, like the time of year and what type bleat to use, or you have as good of a chance spooking deer as calling deer....

Allen Denton 10-12-2007 05:55 AM

I had a friend who hunted in the mountains and saw a deer and was trying to move into position on. When he moved down the side of the hill his can call was in his jacket pocket and he said when he was moving fast the call was making bleet sounds. As he was hunting a buck that was out of hearing he did not think much of it until he got closer to the deer. When he got to the place he wanted to set up on this buck he said he turned and a bigger buck was coming over the hill right at him. I do not know if it was the bleet call or just luck but he uses it often and kills deer.