Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Well SO much for Scent Lock

Old 10-12-2007, 09:00 AM

Default RE: Well SO much for Scent Lock

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

ORIGINAL: Marko B

Scent lock works wonders for deer... they can't smell that well...

Pigs... heh... good luck.
What???????????
That's exactly what I meant.

Deer don't have great noses... I mean... they will bust you if they get downwind of you, but a pig's nose is light years ahead of a deer's
Old 10-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't know about pigs, we do not have them in my area to hunt. I think your sadly mistaken if you think a deers sense of smell isn't that good.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:42 AM

It's all relative... It's better than a cat's... worse than a dog's and way behind a pig's.

Scentlocks will let you hunt deer downwind...

Pigs would get downwind... growl and get out of there.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:03 PM

A deer's olfactory sense is almost the same as a dog's.

I prefer just to hunt the wind. That way I can fart, spit and pee (three things I enjoy doing) and not get busted
Old 10-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

This scent lock stuff is a terrific gimmick for guys who would do anything to kill that big buck. If they want to waste their money on it they can go right ahead! All I know is that a good hunter will kill MORE deer dressed in a pinstriped suit and tie than a poorly skilled one in the most expensive of garments!!
Old 10-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well it takes a leap of faith to

equate a lawsuit with guilt.

Don't buy the stuff, the price will go down and I'll be a happy man, but this lawsuit isthe big shame here. These guys have taken trash talk Internet style and made it a legal case. Every stupid thing they've said on the net is going to be drug out for all to see. Anybody out there that wants what they've said on these boards (and often misunderstood) in a court room. These guys (they are a competitor, (morons)) are beyond stupid. I hope they, for all the trouble they are causing learn this kind of behavior has a price.

NO ONE HAS EVERE BEEN FORCED TO WEAR THE STUFFAND THERE NEVER HAS BEEN ANY LINK TO ADDICTION ASSOCIATED WITH CABON CLOTHES.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Never bought it DD and probably won't. I control my tactics to use the wind to my advantage not the deer's. I feel it is a great way to add about 50% profit to an already overpriced piece of hunting clothing. Here in Vermont I use green Johnson Woolen Mills hunting pants and coat. Keeps me warm even when wet and really quiet going through the brush. It probably smells just like me and all the camp smells but I get deer none the less. Bells and whistles don’t get deer good deer hunters do.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never believed in it before anyway! UV stuff is a bunch of crap too!
Old 10-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

ORIGINAL: Marko B

Scent lock works wonders for deer... they can't smell that well...

Pigs... heh... good luck.
What???????????

Ya im with you, i dont know what hes talking about. "Deer dont smell well", thats just absolutely rediculous.

Anyways, ive been saying it and saying it, Scent Lok and all those carbon clothing brands are full of crap. That stuff does not work. The bottom line is we are dealing with a deers nose. Scent Lok is crap PERIOD.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

I never believed in it before anyway! UV stuff is a bunch of crap too!
To each is own. Deer do see differently than people do. I've gun hunted with blaze orange for many years and can see the difference myself that the UV blocker makes. I've also been successful bow hunting in blaze orange that was treated.
My parrents owned an appliance store, my brother repairs appliances and we had a laundrymatt to boot. Would consider my mother an expert in the laundry detergent area having testified for pro's and cons of phosphates in detergants.....Cheer, tide and all the rest make your cloth glow in the dark with ultraviolet dies and brighteners. Cloths manufactures use these dies to make there colors brighter more colorful but they fade with washing. Todays detergents help to seal in those ultaviolet dies and enhance them with more ultaviolet brighteners.
Now I'm not sure what the actual product UV Killer exactly is, but my theory is it is very simular to suntan oil. UV also destroys many fabrics in the sun. The more UV brighteners, the more the fabric will fade in the sun. I treated some camo for a deer stand with UV killer and used camo from the same role for another stand that I didn't treat. The treated camo is still in good shape 2 years later, the untreated is all faded and ripped up. With that alone it was worth the few bucks. I've got a turkey tent identical to each of 2 friends. We set them up in the same woods for turkeys last spring. Mines UV treated, the other 2 were not. After 4 weeks out, mine was the only one not faded and the only one we saw deer from consistantly from day 1.
I got a new mask before this seasons start and didn't treat it. I was busted from 70 yards out, up wind with only a slight turn of my head, body and arms were concealed. I couldn't believe it. Snorting and stomping like there was a spot light danger sign on my stand.
I went home, put my mask under a black light and couldn't believe how much it glowed! Looked like white and blue camo, blue being a deers most vivid color. My gloves too. One simple wash and spray and no more glow looks like gray green camo, big diffence. Add a little dirt and they're ready for the hunt now.
I do know that my Scent Blocker Guide Series pants and jacket are warm qiet and comfortable. The layers will allow me to hunt from 70+ degrees temp to about 0. Zip in liners and adding base layers as it gets colder, i use them year around here in Wisconsin. The hunter needs cloths that manage and wick sweat away from the body, is water proof and yet breathable to be comfortable in the wides range of conditions. If your camo can do all that and help manage scent control too, it's worth it. I would not sacrafice comfort and warmth for scent control. If my carbon isn't working so be it, as long as I'm warm and dry. I didn't change the way I hunt when I got my carbon suit. I'm just more comfortable now. The other scent control fabrics are also great. Not sure if they really kill odors but as wicking layers, I'm impressed. Just have to make sure they're not glowing in the dark.

Quick Reply: Well SO much for Scent Lock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.