Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you scout/hunt Big Woods?

Old 10-15-2007, 09:43 PM

Default RE: How do you scout/hunt Big Woods?

I have the same issues. I hunt in the national/state/county forest in No. WI. Not quite as big a woods as Maine, but, the deer are spread out. That makes it hard. We always hear, hunt the food source, well if acorns are good, there are tracks of oaks that are 640 acres at a time. So, what makes the deer come close to a stand location as opposed to going anywhere in that section to eat the same food? So, I've scouted a bunch of areas, and what I've decided is to find an area, the one that I've selected is about 160-200 acres. It has: swap, open area with a bunch of rubs, ridges with oaks (mostly red) and some pine forest in between. My strategy is to get to know that area as best I possibly can. Rather than see the whole woods as an opportunity, that's too distracting. So, I'm going to stick to this one area and focus on finding good stand areas throughout it for different conditions. Sort of adopt it as my grounds. There's very little pressure during bow season, but the whole forest is crawling with people the first two days of gun season.

So, maybe look for areas that have variety. Deer like the edges between veg. and terrain. Find the highest concentration of sign there and then scout it at different times of year. Get to know the foods, etc. in that one area. If you spend enough time at a place with those opportunities, then you'll get to know the deer patterns.