Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 new to hunting in general, please help! >

new to hunting in general, please help!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new to hunting in general, please help!

Old 10-09-2007, 03:00 PM

Default new to hunting in general, please help!

Hello, this is my first post on your websight. I am 13 years old and live in ohio and I have sucsesfully passed my hunter education course with a %100 (higher than my dad's score of %99!) and I am wondering where to go next. my family owns a farm of about 60 achers with plenty of deer,turkey,squirrels,rabbits,birds, and varmints. I would like to deer hunt and have seen a couple of nice bucks (8 points and 4 points). i would like to go this season with a slug gun, but i dont know where to start.Does scent control work? what gauge of gun? what action? field dressing information? anything that could be usefull would be nice. i have found some rubbings and beddings. should i hunt in the woods or on field edges? I am at a loss here. i do know i would want to use a ground blind though. we are not on a tight budget. could you guys help me out alittle bit? (i would also like to rabbit or turkey hunt)
Old 10-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new to hunting in general, please help!

First off...welcome to the forums!

The best thing that you can do is read just about every post on the huntingnet site and get as much information as you possibly can (the internet is wonderful). Starting out, you are going to make a lot of mistakes (I know I did), but the best way to learn is to learn from your errors. I would just get out there, and if you want to hunt out of a ground blind, then get in it and see what happens. If you are seeing rubs and you know where deer are bedding and where they are going to get food, then get in between the food source and the bedding area. Scent control really does work and you have to keep your clothing completely scent free and it also helps to play the wind and make sure that your scent isn't blowing towards the direction you think the deer are comming from.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

The most important part of hunting is time in the woods.. You won't see anything if your not out there.. My uncle always told me to go when ever you have a chance. Got an hour to kill go, got a a week to kill go.. As far as guns are concerned. We don't hunt much with slugs down here. But since you said your not on a budget I say get you 2 guns.. A 20 Guage for rabbits, turkey and squirrell and birds. And a 243 Bolt Action for Deer and varmit..
Old 10-09-2007, 03:28 PM

Ilive in ohio where its only legal to take deer with shotgun, bow, or a muzzeloading rifle.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: linkppn

Ilive in ohio where its only legal to take deer with shotgun, bow, or a muzzeloading rifle.
Ok then you better forget about the 243.... Go with a good inline muzzleloader. Can you use one of those?
Old 10-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the forums!

Just get a bow, that would be the best start out.. Get in the woods and have some fun!
Old 10-09-2007, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I second the muzzleloader. Very accurate with a GOOD scope. Emphasis on good. As far as ground blinds. If I were you I would make one out of branches and stuff. I personally think that ground blinds make it a bit harder as they "see" them. Ground blinds tend to spook them for some reason. Just putting a couple branches in front of you and sitting in a chair or on a 5 gal pail I have killed A LOT of deer. Deer are color blind so wear orange even if you dont have too. I personally wouldnt waste a lot of money on scent elimination stuff. You can if you want but I have never used the stuff and have harvested 9 deer in 9 seasons. You HAVE to watch the wind. Deer will smell you no matter what you have on, unless your sealed in a bubble. I would also get a 20 gauge for birds and small game as well. If I were you I would wait a year on the deer hunting since the season is upon us and enjoy hunting pheasants and other small game to really hone your hunting skills. Also try to get someone to go with so you can watch them and learn from them. Good Luck!
Old 10-09-2007, 03:59 PM

I would prefer using a slug gun. i think a muzzleloader would be to much work.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:01 PM

I have a bow but im not acurate enough to get a consictent shot due to a nearsighted shooting eye.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

The inline muzzleloaders arent that much work and are worth there weight in gold as far as im concerned. I can clean mine in 45 minutes and it is a slow cleaning gun. Now the more top end guns clean quite easily. As far as you not being accurate enough with a bow... slug guns arent very accurate either in my experience. you should at least look into both before deciding. Ive missed alot more deer with a shotgun. Also A muzzleloader will make you think about a shot more that you would with a slug gun reducing you chance of missing and or wounding a deer.

Quick Reply: new to hunting in general, please help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.