Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What Rifle Should I get for Deer Hunting >

What Rifle Should I get for Deer Hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What Rifle Should I get for Deer Hunting

Old 10-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default What Rifle Should I get for Deer Hunting

I've been hunting with a 12 gauge mossberg pump shotgun and a thompson .50 cal muzzle loader, the last few years they've made it legal to hunt with a rifle in certain areas where I hunt. Although I like having to get the deer close to take the shot I was intrigued by perhaps trying to extend my range with a rifle (most the places I hunt are so wooded you'd have to be close anyway, but can't hurt to have the extra range if you need it. Any suggestions? I'm looking for a bascily cheap beginner rifle, I'd even consider getting used at Gander mountain or something if thats an option. I'm a decent size guy so I should be able to handle some kickback. One of the options I considerd was looking for maybe a 30-06, I heard they kick pretty hard though and was advised to try something else. I'm no rifle expert so thats where you all come in, make some suggestions please.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What Rifle Should I get for Deer Hunting

i'd get a savage bolt action in any of the popular calibers,308,270,7-08,25-06 ,30-06 i would guess you will be buying factory ammo,so stay with the easy to find ammo for calibers. they will all kill .
Old 10-09-2007, 02:51 PM
DKA
Spike

While people have different prefrences when it comes to rifles, one of the most accurate and flat shooting rifles is 270. Have used other rifles and set up a lot of different caliburs with scopes. Each time the 270 seems to win with me anyway. Wal-Mart is having a clearance sale on Remington 710 at the present time, less than $300.00 including scope. Some people don't like the 710 but have shot mine several times and it has performed well and is very accurate.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a .270 for deer hunting when I am not using my bow. A .270 is a great gun for deer as well as a 30-06. The 30-06 has a very wide range of grain selection and is a good all around gun.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

I bought a Stevens Model 200 Bolt action for my nephew a few weeks ago. .It has the same action as the Savage.. Paid 299.00 for it then added a set of rings and base and put an older scope I had laying around.. Out the door for me was 373.00.

You can also look at the NEF Handi Rifles.. I have one in 444 Marlin.. Which I really like..
Old 10-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

If you can shoot a 12 ga pump with the heavy loads, you won't have problem with the 30-06. Just get one of those limbsaver recoil pads. They work well. Also make sure you wear double hear protection at the beginning. Noise is one reason we flinch.

If you only want to hunt deer you can get something smaller like 270.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:08 PM

My dad has collected deer rifles for as long as I can remember so I get to use many different calibers. My personal favorites are the .257 Roberts and the .260 Browning stalker. I have used 7mm up to .338's and those previous 2 mentioned do the job just as well. Of course it all depends on where and what you want to hunt.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Amen to the .270, topped with a Conquest or Elite 4200 or better scope.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the feedback
Old 10-10-2007, 03:01 AM

If you're a "decent sized guy" don't sweat the 30-06's recoil.

Anyways, I noticed you said you hunt in thick brush...can't go wrong with a 30-30 lever action (Marlin of course!) in that situation. No need for a scope if you're shooting 60 yards or closer in the brush..lil $$ saver there.
Although, I'd say go to a store you trust and find "the" guy who knows what he's talking about, explain your situation and see what you two come up with.

Quick Reply: What Rifle Should I get for Deer Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.