HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Seeking Advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/210966-seeking-advice.html)

Musicman72 10-08-2007 03:51 PM

Seeking Advice

Ok, so I'm part of a special handicapped hunt at a mining company, and I've spent the last two days sitting in my van in 85 degree weather, waiting for deer to come around. I took today off because there were supposed to be storms, and I didnt feel like sitting in my van again all day waiting to see 2 deer the whole day!!

Tomorrow is supposed to be alot cooler, with a high temp of about 62, and mostly sunny with just a slight chance of showers in the afternoon. But its supposed to be windy, west winds at 15-25 mph. Will that be to strong of a wind to sit in and hunt??

This is also in Wisconsin, and I'm hunting with a rifle. I have a Remington model 700 .270

I'll be parked where I can see down a lane that goes between woods to the north and a soybean field to the south, and I'll have the wind in my face the whole day.

I have four calls: "The Can", M.A.D. Buck Growl, adjustable deer call (fawn, doe, young buck and mature buck) and a rattle bag.

Any advice on how to get the deer moving?

And before anyone give me a hard time about sitting in my van, I am handicapped, and have the class A disabled hunter permit.

Tikka 30-06 10-08-2007 03:55 PM

RE: Seeking Advice

The weather change will get them moving more than any call ever will. As far as calling you could go ahead and try it guess but it's a little early for that yet. As far as the wind, I wouldn't worry to much about that just make sure you keep track of the direction especially because your in the van. Good luck! I'll be waiting for some pics!!

Schultzy 10-08-2007 05:59 PM

Good luck! Good to see you out hunting but if i was you i'd get rid of that rattle bag.

big rockpile 10-08-2007 08:00 PM

Weather will get them going.The only call I might use would be the Can.

Not going to Blast you about the Van I set in my Pickup all the time,same reason.

big rockpile

Musicman72 10-08-2007 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Good luck! Good to see you out hunting but if i was you i'd get rid of that rattle bag.
Why get rid of it? Should I go buy some of the fake horn things in the store?

hehe, maybe I just need to shoot a buck and use his horns next year :D

Tikka 30-06 10-08-2007 08:55 PM

No, it's not that the bag is worse than horns. It's just too early to start rattling, give it a few weeks before you break them out.

Musicman72 10-15-2007 09:32 PM

Got a buck and a doe, will post pictures when I get them

andy da animal 10-15-2007 10:30 PM

Congrats!!!! looking foward to the pictures!!!!

Musicman72 10-17-2007 02:50 PM

Finally got pictures of my deer!! The buck was nice, just wish he had a bigger rack!! The doe was decent, but hopefully I get a bigger one next month

andy da animal 10-17-2007 04:23 PM

congrats! looks like you put a good shot on both of them!!!!