Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

newbie question about wind

Old 10-08-2007, 12:35 AM

Default newbie question about wind

Can someone please explain to me why you're always supposed to hunt with the wind in your face. Won't a big buck always approach from downwind of a scent, such as apple or estrus?

For instance, I've been set upin a climber overthe edge of a bean field, usingTinks doe P and acorn scent for an attractent. I've also gone to every length to be scent free.As I'm facing the field theprevailing wind is blowing in my face. Should'nt Ibe turned around the other way expecting the deer to be following the scent I put out?
Any advice on wind and scent would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for helping out a duck hunter with nowhere to bust 'em!
Old 10-08-2007, 02:51 AM

Default RE: newbie question about wind

First of all Whitetails and especially a whitetail buck will never do exactly what you expect them to do, always be prepared for the unexpected. During hunting season there is a time for certain tactics to be used, during the first part of the season it is usually best to just use scent away products ONLY!!!... NO ATTRACTENT SCENTS, because your not really scent free if your using an attractent? Catch my drift? Although acorn scent is highly attractive to whitetails I would much rather be scent-free set-up along an oak ridge full of acorns waiting for deer, and ONLY using Tinks during the peak of the rut to try and catch the attention of a cruising buck looking for a hot doe.
Now to try and help you answer your wind question.
We all know that deer use the wind while traveling and that their nose is the most effective tool they have, but you want to know how YOU AS A HUNTER can use the wind to your advantage. I am going to explain to you what I like to do that has proven successful.
Example ~ Take your bean field that you've been hunting. You have a good idea of where the deer are bedded, now the only thing you need to figure out is ambushing those deer before they get to your bean field. This set up is called the INSIDE EDGE! You have lets say a predominant SouthWest Wind, you want to be set-up on the opposite NorthEast edge, because the wind is blowing out of the southwest and of course you are down wind on the northeast corner of the bean field.
I hope I haven't lost you yet?
Anyway moving on! you do this because it is in your advantage, but also any whitetail and especially a Buck will use the wind and come around to that NorthEast Corner of your set-up to Scent Check the Bean Field before entering the field. You want to be about 20-30yds inside the woods from the bean field edge. Think of it also somewhat as a staging area for whitetails to come to right before dark before entering the fields. I personally do this so I can still shoot and see what action is going on in the field. Remember I'm not hunting directly on the field edge, but about 20-30yds a little further back on the INSIDE EDGE.
Doing this the wind will be in the deer's favor, but more importanly YOURS!!!
I hope that you find this information beneficial, and good luck!
Old 10-09-2007, 06:46 PM

Default RE: newbie question about wind

Here is a map of where I have been set up. The red arrow is the prevailing wind and the skinny white line is a deertrail Iknowof. I haven't scouted the other side of the field for trails yet.Thanks for the advice Marine.