Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Snake bite Kits...Do they work >

Snake bite Kits...Do they work

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Snake bite Kits...Do they work

Old 10-05-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Snake bite Kits...Do they work

My 10 yr old got his first bow kill a couple of days ago. While looking for the deer came upon a large Copperhead and killed it. That the second Copperhead killed in 3 days. Thought about getting a snake bite kit but heard they are worthless. We also have Rattlesnakes. THOUGHTS?
Old 10-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Snake bite Kits...Do they work

I have heard that the snakes are going to be really bad this year in TX. I killed a rattler last Sat. That my buddy walked right by. I am also wondering about the snake bite kit. I think that that having one is probably gonna do more good than bad so I am going to bring with me next weekend.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:50 AM

Don't have to worry about that up here. But out of curiousity, do you fellas wear snake boots?

Silly question, I know. Something I'd most likely wear if I lived near rattlesnakes so wondering if they're widely used.

And I apologize I can't help with your question buckjaw.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

No snake boots here. Too uncomfortable...... I know I would really look stupid if I get bit cause I wanted to be comfortable.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:55 AM
DGH

Look Here - http://www.wf.net/~snake/firstaid.htm
Old 10-05-2007, 11:05 AM

good luck ill be hunting adirondack ny so i should look into this aswll.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

You know, you can carry a kit for 40 or 50 years and never use it, but if you need it you better have it........Also here in Fl I have always used 16" Snake Boots cause of all the Palmettos, especially in the winter time (legal hunting season) when they come out to Sun bathe......Here's the one I have had since the 80's and can be used for Bee Stings and Spider Bites....

Snake Bite Kits: Extractor Snake Bite kit and Swift Snake Bite kit
Old 10-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DBerrard

Don't have to worry about that up here. But out of curiousity, do you fellas wear snake boots?

Silly question, I know. Something I'd most likely wear if I lived near rattlesnakes so wondering if they're widely used.

And I apologize I can't help with your question buckjaw.
I was thinking the same thing. I have hunted in snake country for forty plus years and wouldn't go out in warm weather without snake boots on. Also, I don't stick my hands in places where I can't see. But, those copperheads are especially hard to see when the leaves turn brown and fall off.

I carry a Sawyer extractor kit in my first aid kit, but in spite of a lot of close calls, never have had to use it.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:29 PM

If you are in snake territory, you should absolutely wear snake boots or chaps. Remember, the snakes only have to hit you once. Alsofactorindistance to anti-venom vesuscomfort. Finally, if you choose boots over chaps and they hurt, take them off when you get to the stand and wear a different pair.

The boots I wear are prefectly comfortable so maybe you just got a bad boot?

Peace,

Acetyl
Old 10-05-2007, 05:31 PM

I had to dodge a water moccassin on my bike today while riding to my zone for scouting. I'm not afraid of snakes, but it got my heart pumping...
-- B

Edit: I'm not really in major snake areas often, but would be thick rubber knee boots work reasonably well against a snakebite?

Quick Reply: Snake bite Kits...Do they work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.