Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do I do!!!

Old 10-03-2007, 07:22 PM

Default What do I do!!!

Opening Morning in Illinois a very,very nice buck 170" or better bedded 30-35 yards from my stand for about 1 hour as I sat and analyzed his rack.
I was waiting for him to make his move and get up as I did not have a shot through the foilage and he was layong down. I mean this deer had coke cans coming out of his head 14 points, a drop tine 3-4" on 1 side.

He finally got up stretched like a dog and proceeded to walk away casually, I tried to give him a couple of grunts and he could care less.
I waited about another 1 1/2-2hours (11:00am) before getting out of my stand and leaving.

Later that afternoon when I was coming back to my stand I was about 3 yards from the base of my tree when I turned my head to find the same buck in the same exact spot laying down and looking right at me. We stared each other down for about a minute before he gradually got up and walked away into the brush and I eventually saw him come out about 100yards on top of a hill trotting across a field.

Will he come back? How does he know I am not a farmer or just anyone else walking the woods? He never seen me in my stand and has know idea where it is?

What would you say or do? Would you still hunt the same spot?

Thanks for listening
Old 10-03-2007, 07:45 PM

Default RE: What do I do!!!

sounds like a nice deer....as far as him coming back ...probaly it is is home!! he might just change how he gets there and when he does..i say try to get located on the trail he enters and leaves his bedding area or chopa few brances...if you can help it get in early and stay all day!! this will improve you chances of being busted entering and leaving your stand...if you can help it try to hunt a diff stand or let cool done alittle so he doesnt think somethin is up.....good luck
Old 10-03-2007, 07:52 PM

I wouldnt worry too much, doesnt sound like you really spooked him, if in fact he walked away. Take a couple days off from that spot to give it a lil time to get back to normal and you should be fine
Old 10-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: the200club

What would you say or do? Would you still hunt the same spot?

Thanks for listening
I would say: PLEASE COME BACK!
I would do: Like others say, give it a few days and you will be fine, he didn't seem real spooked.
Hunt the same spot: Sure, after a few days.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

clear a couple branches, hunt high, get in early and stay all day.

good luck.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Give the stand a break for atleast a couple days. You saw him come in and bed one day and caught him bedding another. That's when he wants to be there. Get in there before he gets in there - well ahead - and wait.

Of course it sounds like you need to trim a little. Don't smell the place up doing it and don't let the branches trimmed fall down into HIS area and get him suspicious. Don't drag them off - CARRY them off.

Watch the wind. Don't hunt the stand if the wind ain't right -wait til it is right another day. You also might want to consider another additional stand sight.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:01 AM

I would give the spot a few days, dont touch it, and then go back a little bit later... I think he is on a pattern and you may have scared him but he will return in a few days...
Good Luck
Old 10-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Spike

He's probalby gone for good, You'll never see him again. What were the GPS Coordinates?? Just kiddin', give him a couple days, and set up between where you first saw him and the where you saw him enter the field.Get in there at least an hour before legal shootin light and try not to go through the field on you way there. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Next time you grunt at him to bring him in, use three excited grunts, rather than just one grunt, the three excited grunts is called a "tending grunt", when the buck is findinga doe in estrus, that might get his attention.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dont think he doesnt know where that stand is, he knows. Deer can sense the smallest changes in the woods especially if they were born there and spent their entire life in the woods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.