Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone Hunt In a Swamp?

Old 10-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone Hunt In a Swamp?

I always get tickled when some hunters mention shoulder shots or neck shots and someone else asks why....You can tell who has hunted a swamp and who hasn't.....It ain't no fun sloshing around in knee deep water in December when its been getting down to freezing and trying to track a deer in that mess...I always drop them where they stand in that situation...
Old 10-03-2007, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting the cedar swamps in Maine and NH is one of the absolute best places to be. It sure can be thick, wet and nasty but that's why the deer are there.

Swamps offer deer security from hunters as well as protection from the elements when the weather turns nasty.
The wetter, darker, thicker...the better the deer like it.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:57 AM

yeah that is why i like hunting in a swamp... There is plenty of deer activtity especially in the day time, when all the deer are going to the swamps for cover
Old 10-03-2007, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: dragonslayer1

Man, there aint a much easier drag than in the water! It may be a little harder to walk in the water, but that deer will just skim along, especially in knee deep water.A lot of ourswamps here in NW Floridaare almost impenetrable. I've hunted Illinois and several other midwestern states and seen what they call "thickets". Give me a break. We've got thickets here a snake can't crawl through! When ourYankee buddies come down to gator hunt or fish with us, theyfind out what a real "thicket" is.
AMEN! We've got some places with those wait-a-minute briars as big around as a quarter that you absolutelyCAN NOT walk through. Squatting, crawling, and shredding clothes for 30 minutes just to get a hundred yards to a tree to climb is unlike any other "thicket" I've encountered anywhere else in this country! I've had to butcher deer like an elk and pack out the meat in a backpack. Dragging one out simply was not an option. That's swamp hunting at it's finest!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 PM

That's right!!!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

some of my favorite stands i have watched gators swim by the base of the tree i was sitting in.