Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone Hunt In a Swamp?

Old 10-02-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Anyone Hunt In a Swamp?

I have hunted in a swamp for all my life... Any stories about hunting in swamps?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:50 AM

Default RE: Anyone Hunt In a Swamp?

Gotta watch out for Moon Goons and Wampus Cats - that's all I know.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

i hunt in florida.... need i say more?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:01 AM

best place to find big boy
Old 10-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

I havent hunted in a swamp but hunt down in some river bottoms and the mosquitos are horrible this time of year. I figure it would be the same situation in the swamps.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt on the edge of a swamp. It is amazing what you hear. Sometimes it is downright scary.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:00 PM

The swamp that i hunt in is drying up, and last year was the first year i actually had a substancial amount of water in the swamp... I had to be careful not to get wet on my way in the swamp... I did see a LOT of deer activity in the swamp though... Good place to hunt if you can find a swamp to hunt in you are almost gauranteed to see deer activity...
Old 10-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

How many stories do you want???

I grew up in Gates County (eastern NC)...Dismal Swamp on the east, Chowan river on the west, what isn't swamp is usually a cutover or a crop field...

One of our farms has a swamp all the way around it, we have 3 beaver dams that cross the run, I have taken many deer using the beaver dams as a bridge across them...I see wood ducks, otters, beavers, etc...The first deer I killed one on a beaver dam was taken with a double barrel 12 gauge when I was 16 or so, back in the 70s...A 6 point popped out of the opposite side which is a cutover, crossed the dam about 25 yards in front of me, I hit him with a load of #1 buck, he hit the water, ran out of the run and made it 25-30 yards and dropped...

On another hunt, I was using a .45 caliber flintlock...There is a old RR bed that goes through the swamp...I was easing down the bed and spotted 7-8 does coming my way, I took a rest on a tree, let them get to 40 yards and shot the lead doe through the shoulder blade, she dropped...This was 1978 and my first muzzleloader deer....
Old 10-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

A doe I shot 3 yrs ago ran her final run into a swamp. For a 125 lb deer that was one of the hardest drags ever in the knee deep water.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:34 PM

Man, there aint a much easier drag than in the water! It may be a little harder to walk in the water, but that deer will just skim along, especially in knee deep water.A lot of ourswamps here in NW Floridaare almost impenetrable. I've hunted Illinois and several other midwestern states and seen what they call "thickets". Give me a break. We've got thickets here a snake can't crawl through! When ourYankee buddies come down to gator hunt or fish with us, theyfind out what a real "thicket" is.

Quick Reply: Anyone Hunt In a Swamp?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.