Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

i have another question

Old 10-01-2007, 09:42 PM

Default i have another question

Is it possible to get big deer with just food plots and other stuff,even if you don't have any good genetic?I was just wondering

[/align]
Old 10-01-2007, 09:43 PM

Default RE: i have another question

[/align]i meant are u able to grow quality deer
Old 10-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

"quality" deer will grow based on the nutrients they have to eat! high nutrients in the food makes for deer with better genetics for the future! we use to have small 6 points as our BIG deer in our woods, we started planting food plots, and other high nutrient food sorces and just last year my uncle harvested a HUGE 12 pointer, and i harvested a big 8 pointer, and we all have seen a big difference in our woods! it might not have anything to do with our food plots at all, but a couple years after we planted them we started to see a difference! not saying thats the only way, but i deffenitly dont think it hurt
Old 10-02-2007, 11:15 AM

[/align]
[blockquote]ok thanks for the info[/blockquote]
Old 10-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Spike

It takes good nutrition and good genetics. Just like people - just because you feed them well, it doesn't mean they will grow tall. If you want fat deer, then a food plot will work. If you want big racks and big bodies, the deer has to have the biological genetics and good nutrition to reach their full potential. Feeding deer doesn't change the genetics - but it may draw the genetically superior deer in, which push off the inferior deer (survival of the fittest).
Old 10-02-2007, 06:09 PM

You're right about genetics and nutrition, but one thing, and perhaps the most important is AGE.If you want big bucks, don't shootyoung ones. It's as simple as that. Well, almost.