Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Problem Hunter in Quality Deer Managment >

Problem Hunter in Quality Deer Managment

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Problem Hunter in Quality Deer Managment

Old 10-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Problem Hunter in Quality Deer Managment

Some might argue that a good portion of the trophy shooters are the ones in need of learning about hunting. [X(]
Old 10-02-2007, 11:38 AM

Well just don't give him any help gutting the deer, dragging it out, loading in the truck, taking it to the registration station, or butcheringand wrapping. Tell him that there's lots of work to be done around the farm and that your help is availablein thefutureif he helps out during the summer with your food plots and brush clearing,OR with a refundable deposit of $200 that he gets back if he shoots a doe or quality buck but not with the harvest of immature bucks. That way he has 3choices: 1)if he chooses to help out with food plots maybe he'll realize theinvestment you're trying to make in your deer herd and will begin to help manage withQDM ideals. 2)If he doesn't want to do anything then he's on his own. 3)If he wants to open up his pocketbook so he can shoot little bucksthen take his money.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like you grand ma.

however, there is supposed to be an unconditional love amongst families from which no hostility should be brought forth in a situation as such
Now that's a good one.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Sounds like Granny is more interested in deer hunting than Quality Deer Farming.
Yep, sounds like Granny's got her priorities straight.

Pretty presumptuous of folks to "impose" their will on others when it's not their land to do so, or their deer for that matter! Maybe Granny will wise up and see the road that this is heading down and "give"the land to the sister! That would be a hoot!

Incredible.....absolutely incredible, people's frame of mind these days, and for what???? So you can beat your chest and say "look at my big buck"?[:'(]

I've got an idea...why don't you go out and FINDthe mature deer that are already in the woods? Kill one that Mother Nature grew instead of one you did.

Rant over....[:@]
Old 10-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Incredible.....absolutely incredible, people's frame of mind these days, and for what???? So you can beat your chest and say "look at my big buck"?
So very true! Like anyone really cares how big a buck is other than some other hunters who want to have something to brag about also. All this QDM stuff is BS in my opinion. I don't care what people do on their own land, but many states are starting this nonesense on statewide levels. In my opinion a states responsibility is to manage deer numbers and not worry how big a bucks antlers can get. These QDM proponents try to feed us this stuff that it helps control the deer age structures and such, when the REAL facts are that it's only real purpose is to grow trophy deer for trophy hunters.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Spike

First, for at least right now, Grandma calls the shots on the property so you'll have to live with that or hunt somewhere else.

I think if it were me and I wanted to hunt the mature deer and my cousin wanted to just shoot any buck they could, I'd do my scouting early, help them get in there and get that little buck that I didn't want in the herd anyway (possibly one that I wanted taken out for some reason) and get them (the cousin) out of thewoods so I could concentrate on that big one.
You'll probably never get everyone to subscribe to the limits you want to set (even family members). And, some are right when they say that the little ones might just go across the fence and get shot anyway. However, I'll guarantee one thing. IfYOU shoot him he sure as heck isn't going to make it till next year. If you let him walk, he has a chance. I think that's part of the problem. People on both sides of the fence are afraid that if they don't shoot the little guy, the hunter on the other side of the fence is going to do it so to be sure he doesn't get to do it, they do it themselves. I actually hope the guys on the other side of the fence are shooting the little ones that cross the fence some because then I know they aren't shooting the ones that I let walk for years growing like I wanted them to. Looks like a no win situation to me. If they actually want to hunt big mature deer, they are going to have to suck it up and sacrifice and take the chance that could happen but hold themselves back and just maybe the guy on the other side might too and then there's a chance that you'll get some big deer over the years. If people could just do that for 3 or 4 years, then from then on (providing they didn't go nuts and shoot too many bucks) there would be all age classes to hunt. They could actually begin shooting the oldest deer knowing there are deer the same age or one year less still there to be hunted the following year. Good luck with your hunting and your management plans. I hope it all eventually works out the way you'd like for it to. One other thing. If you'll take that cousin under your wing and hunt with them, they just might pick up some of your ideas. I suspect they aren't where you are in the hunting/management area of thinking yet.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for all the opinions and advice...my opinion still hasn't changed in that I believe QDM is a good thing, but I also respect those of you saying that if the cousin wants to kill anything, well then that's his perogative...as for me, there's just something special about spending countless hours in the woods waiting on a deer which has lived a long, healthly life rather than taking a younger buck that has several good years a head of him, but then again, that's MY perogative as well...but anyways, theres not much that can be done I guess..thanks for the advice nonetheless
Old 10-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would go to your grandmother and explain to her what qdm is and what it means also let he know what you wont to do and inform her what the pros and cons are if you include her in the proccess she will be more open to making some rules to the use of the land

don't just take it to your self to tell everyone what you wont them to do on her land it makes her feel unimportant and makes her think you all have little to no respect for her and "her land" include her in the proccess

also go talk to your couisn he might be open to the limits if you are the only four hunting why would you send out a news letter to everyone in your family . and you grandma might feel you are all trying to be pushing to your cousin did you include him in makeing the limits or just go tell him hay don't shoot unless it meets this list of rules . If you did that he more then likly went to your granma and said hey there trying to tell me what i can and can not kill

just include everyone when you make limits and rules for soemone elses land

but i agree with your limits
Old 10-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

i would go to your grandmother and explain to her what qdm is and what it means also let he know what you wont to do and inform her what the pros and cons are if you include her in the proccess she will be more open to making some rules to the use of the land

don't just take it to your self to tell everyone what you wont them to do on her land it makes her feel unimportant and makes her think you all have little to no respect for her and "her land" include her in the proccess

also go talk to your couisn he might be open to the limits if you are the only four hunting why would you send out a news letter to everyone in your family . and you grandma might feel you are all trying to be pushing to your cousin did you include him in makeing the limits or just go tell him hay don't shoot unless it meets this list of rules . If you did that he more then likly went to your granma and said hey there trying to tell me what i can and can not kill

just include everyone when you make limits and rules for soemone elses land

but i agree with your limits
I think you are one news letter late for this to work.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

You're going to screw around and piss everybody in the family off and then you are going to be out of a place to hunt. Grandma has already given her opinion, and it sounds like the cousin has just as much right to hunt on the property as you do. Practice QDM if YOU want to, but quit trying to tell everybody else how to hunt.

Quick Reply: Problem Hunter in Quality Deer Managment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.