Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it wrong....

Old 09-30-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Is it wrong....

to get irritated with people who take 2,4, or 6 point bucks with antlers that are like 4 inches long? This will be my first year hunting deer and to me if i have a medium sized doe and a 4-6 point buck with antlers that are 4 inches long i'm going to take the doe. i guess maybe its just differing opinions but it just really irritates me. Your opinions?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:25 PM

Default RE: Is it wrong....

I would take the doe. It's always nice to let young bucks mature. Most bucks are harvested for their antlers. Personally, I'll rather have doe meat in the freezer. But some people can't resist killing a buck whether it's a spike or fork.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:04 AM
Fork Horn

To some people its not about the size of the antlers. Instead they get thier joy from the experience and the meat on the dinner table.
If a 4 point makes someone happy then I dont see a problem with them shooting it.
Next time try not to get irritated and just realize they have a different perspective on hunting than you.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JoeyG

To some people its not about the size of the antlers. Instead they get thier joy from the experience and the meat on the dinner table.
If a 4 point makes someone happy then I dont see a problem with them shooting it.
Next time try not to get irritated and just realize they have a different perspective on hunting than you.
very nice reply.....i'd like to see nothing but big ones come out, but meat is meat.....what really aggravates me is when they come out with a 49 lb. button buck ....that was the first buck of the season taken where i hunted....i'm sorry , there is no excuse, but it is legal and thats the buck he wanted for his buck tag, so be it......
Old 10-01-2007, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it is a legal deer and they have no restrictions (landowner/club/state) on what they shoot then there is nothing wrong with them hunting and shooting anything they want to. Don't start out hunting with the idea that you are going to dictate to everybody else what proper hunting should be.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

AmateurHunter, Congratulations! You are starting to hunt with a mentality that usually takes years to attain. There have been articles writtenby renowned hunters about the phases a person goes through in their hunting career. I can attest to their accuracy. Once you're amongstdifferent age hunterslong enough you will see all the different mindsets. Usually new hunters have that uncontrollable desire to kill every legal buck they can. Either to try toprove to themselftheir huntingprowess ormost oftenit's trying to impress their hunting buddies. In areas that have limited deer and no doe tags where one only wants to assure they get venison in their freezer each year, I can see where they would have a hard time turning down young bucks. Elsewhere, in areas with plenty of deer and tags, it does make you shake your head when you see experienced hunters showing off multiple immature bucks they have killed as if they've accomplished something profound. With your mindset of watching young bucks walk, you will get towitness more deer behavior and see that killingyoung onesis nogreat feat of skill. My wife started out hunting like that and watching all the interaction between the deer is as thrilling for her as shooting one. Needless to say, in only 3 years of hunting, she has taken several mature bucks by doing so. Good luck this season and enjoy!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:17 AM

It's all about QDM (quality deer management). If your neighbors will get on board with your type of thinking, well ... you've got good neighbors. But you've also got a chance at developing an area that produces trophies. This takes time and commitment on everyone's part. We have all agreed on a policy that if someone takes any buck less than an 8 point, he runs the risk of being "out". After6 years of QDM, we are all killing good bucks now. I know, 6 years seems like a long time but I think back on it and it has definitely been worth the effort and discipline it takes to develop our area. Genetics and diet also help - but that's another topic.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, you have the right to be irritated. Its very frustrating to see some guys shoot all these little bucks. When you pass up these little bucks in hopes they can grow and they cross the property and get shot then yes, its frustrating.

I hear the "I'm a meat hunter" stuff all the time. If that was true it wouldnt hurt to pass these little bucks up and take a doe or mature buck.

I wouldnt ask young hunters to pass up anything. I would like to see guys thats killed a lot of deer practice a little self control but some guys never are able to get to that point.

I can live with anyone killing whatever they want as long as they follow the law but yes I do get irritated also.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its about the hunt, not the rack. I think 1961 cleared up the opener by refering to immature animals. Arround here we have lots of mature animals with small racks. Ill stick a 200# spike over a 120# 8 pointer any day.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:31 AM

I think that for a first deer many young hunters are going to want to take the first thing with horns that comes into their stand. In my opinion this is fine for a first deer, but young hunters need to understand that if they shoot all the young bucks then there will be nothing of bigger size to take in the future...

Quick Reply: Is it wrong....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.