Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting scrapes

Old 09-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Spike

Default Hunting scrapes

I am new to hunting and found fresh scrapes. Is it early to find scrapes? Also, I have read that bucks will generally scrape an area and not come back???
Old 09-30-2007, 09:04 PM

Default RE: Hunting scrapes

No, it's not early depending on where your at. Also, not only will that buck come back more than once, other buck's and doe's will check it. You might be confusing this with a rub.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Typical Buck

I haven't seen any rubs or scrapes here yet
Old 10-01-2007, 06:24 AM

Two weeks ago I went to camp and tried my first attempt at "Mocked Scrapes". I've read that bucks can/will make up to 12 scrapes in an acre! Well, since scents cost so much, I only made 3 (each near a stand) so I can refreash when I go up this week, etc. Coolest part is that I did the scrapes on Saturday, on Sunday I was hanging "bow" holders at the stand when I notice one of the scrapes had fresh "doe" urine, since the scrape wasn't hoofed up! Well, I left that afternoon and can't wait to check and freshen them up this weekend!

I read that some pro-staffers start making mock scrapes as early as August so that the bucks in the area get accustom to them.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:09 AM

No scrapes in my area yet (south-central Missouri). Bucks do become more transient as the rut heats up. This doesn't mean other bucks won't hit scrapes made by the transients. I've had good luck hunting scrapes however, my trail camera tells me the big boys will generally hit them under the cover of night. This can make hunting scrapes very frustrating.