Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Am I going nuts???

Old 09-30-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Am I going nuts???

Anyone ever loose the urge to Hunt?
Does it come back?

The last 5-6 years my desire to Deer hunt (or anything else) has been dwindling, last year I went and passed on all but one deer(doe for meat). I can honestly say that after 35 years, I don't care if I kill another deer, the bigger the rack the less interested I am in shooting, I just like to walk the woods and watch. Went out last night and had 4 within bow range, how proud that smallish buck looked as he paraded around with his 3 does, I would not have felt right shooting any of them.

I think I need therapy, I've used Traditional bows and compunds, shotguns from muzzeloading to semi auto with roundballs, buckshot and slugs, rifles from 44-40 Winchesters to scoped .270's with many inbetween, muzzel loaders from flintlocks and Civil War rifles to an inline. Stand hunted, hunted on drives, still hunting/spot and stalk, hunted one particular deer all season and wacked a pickup full on a depravation permit, Horn hunted, meat hunted.....Big, small and numerous Deer...

Any hope for me? I still love to walk the woods, especially when there is snow. I'm thinking about a change in scenery...Ideas???

Doug
Old 09-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Am I going nuts???

My dad lost his urge to hunt. He said hes just grown softer with his old age lol but he still likes to walk and watch them. Im not sure if it comes back or not. He still hasnt hunted for a long time. Maybe you should take up photography. Who knows it might do the trick for you. Gets you out in the woods and your still kind of hunting. Just shooting with a camera.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

Oh and with photography youhave the proof of the monster buck you saw. Its still rewarding just in a different way.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have used the phrase that "I'm just not as mad at them as I use to be." Honestly if it wasn't for having two grandsons, 13 &15, that seem to love to hunt I would probably quit after close to 40 years of deer hunting, I know I would have a lot more money in my pocket. I have passed way over 200 legal deer each of the last 3 or so years.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

My grandpa keeps telling me and my brother that if it werent for the two of us loving to hunt as much as we do then he wouldnt even hunt anymore. He tells us that he gets a bigger thrill out of watching me and my brother get excited before going to the woods, and watching us harvest a deer, claims that he loves to see all of his training come together. However after first season is over and second season starts, me nor my brother have been able to attend second season, because of school! (god im happy im in college this year so i can attend second season), but he always goes to the woods with some of my uncles and hunts, he claims after watching us harvest deer it gets him back in the "mood" to hunt again! so maybe try that, take your kid/grandson/nephew/neice, or some kid that lives in your town and teach them to hunt, maybe it will get you back into it! just a suggestion though!
Old 09-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lost the desire when I couldnt shoot my bow anymore,then got my
disability permit and started to hunt with a crossbow and really am
enjoying hunting again.Still have to get close but thats the best part
of the game,dont shoot over thirty yards,just like hunting with my
compound again!
Old 09-30-2007, 09:14 PM

I gave it up for 13 years and couldn't have cared less if I looked at a gun or bow,last year I got back into it and can't wait to get back in the woods.Really looking forward to the first bow hunt monday morning.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:31 AM

Inall things, we go through "seasons" of life. Sometimes those seasons come back around and some times they don't. In whatever you do, ENJOY your life.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes... yes you are

Im just kidding it happens though but trade in your weapons for a nice camera. I know alot of people who find it equally as rewarding.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Doug S

Anyone ever loose the urge to Hunt?
Does it come back?

The last 5-6 years my desire to Deer hunt (or anything else) has been dwindling, last year I went and passed on all but one deer(doe for meat). I can honestly say that after 35 years, I don't care if I kill another deer, the bigger the rack the less interested I am in shooting, I just like to walk the woods and watch. Went out last night and had 4 within bow range, how proud that smallish buck looked as he paraded around with his 3 does, I would not have felt right shooting any of them.

I think I need therapy, I've used Traditional bows and compunds, shotguns from muzzeloading to semi auto with roundballs, buckshot and slugs, rifles from 44-40 Winchesters to scoped .270's with many inbetween, muzzel loaders from flintlocks and Civil War rifles to an inline. Stand hunted, hunted on drives, still hunting/spot and stalk, hunted one particular deer all season and wacked a pickup full on a depravation permit, Horn hunted, meat hunted.....Big, small and numerous Deer...

Any hope for me? I still love to walk the woods, especially when there is snow. I'm thinking about a change in scenery...Ideas???

Doug
Doug I too have almost lost the desire to take an animal but still have the desire to get out there. I've found help and you can too. Start taking kids out and teach them about the outdoors, hunting, and fishing.
Remember that heart pounding episode you would experience when a deer showed up? You can experience it again when that deer pop's up and that child could have a chance at taking it.
It's a wonderful thing and much more rewarding!!

Quick Reply: Am I going nuts???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.