Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Deer Hunter...please help

Old 09-28-2007, 10:53 PM

Default New Deer Hunter...please help

My brother-in-law and I have are going hunting this fall, it will be his first deer hunt and my first one since I was a kid. We have put together a nice stand where I know there is deer traffic. Our land is almost all wooded, so it is a pretty tight area, but we've built a huge (probably overkill) wood stand betwen 3 trees that holds both of us. He has an idea of putting up an old wood burning stove up there, but I am leary of the smoke. We are about 25 feet off the ground and if we put the stove up, would put up a smoke stack for another 8-10 feet. I wonder if the smell would scare off the deer. We had also thought of just using some charcoal to burn, as I think it would be less hassle and scent. Is this at all a good idea? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I am a long time member, but usually just read the post. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 09-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Deer Hunter...please help

MAN!!!!! 25 feet off the ground!!!! the farthest off the ground i have ever hunted was 16 feet.personally i wouldnt want to have a stove up there. yes it would keep you warmer, but there is one problemsthat jumps out at mewith that idea. WEIGHT, my uncle has an old wood burning stove in his cabin and i helped him put it in, man those things are so heavy, you would probably have a really hard time getting it up in the stand, not to mention that is another couple hundred pounds of weight in that stand, and since it is homemade it is hard telling how much weight the stand can hold and having 2 people and an old wood burning stove might be a bit to much. i personally wouldnt do it, i have hunted for several years in central illinois and it gets pretty cold here in the winter but never felt the need for a stove. my opinion is to leave the stove out but thats just my opinion
Old 09-29-2007, 12:14 AM

If u want heat i would suggest a catalytic heater such as this, no odour, can get different sizes, they give off lots of heat and they run off propane bottles and if you get a few small bottles they are fairly light and easy to haul up a ladder. Something like this http://www.landbigfish.com/images/store/PS-5033-751.jpg but if you want a fire so you can cook, i would suggest just bringing a lunch cause i wouldnt have a fire that high up now as for if the fire would spook them, well if your stuck in the woods you know how they say "keep the fire big cause it keeps the animals away" cause the smoke does signal danger, be it humans or forest fire, but i have built a fire on the ground where i was sitting for the day cause it got way to cold and i still seen lots of game, but the wind was blowing the smoke away from the area i was watching.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:12 AM

You're kidding.... right?
Old 09-30-2007, 10:56 PM

Charcoal? You do know charcoal releases carbon monoxide? Very bad idea...
Old 10-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude,
Step away from the bong and do some research on staying warm in the cold. Do it when you're not high, so that you'll remember.
KP
Old 10-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: XzyluM

Charcoal? You do know charcoal releases carbon monoxide? Very bad idea...
Carbon Monoxide is a by-product of combustion. It is produced by most anything you burn, inlcuding wood. Killer Primate has the best suggestion!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:23 AM

First of all i would NOT put a stand 25 feet off the ground, and second of all i would NOT put a stove up there... Just dress in layers, and bring 2 small portable propane heaters with you... The ones that you buy the small tanks for that screw in the bottom.
Good Luck
Old 10-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

yeah these guys have you covered. No stove or charcoal. Just get a little propane heater and some coveralls.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:29 AM

A fire 25 feet up a tree is NEVER a good idea! Dress warm!

Quick Reply: New Deer Hunter...please help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.