Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neck Shots ?

Old 10-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Neck Shots ?

I have taken two doeswith neck shots. Both of them were looking up at me in my treestand and i would aim center of the neck about back hight. Both arrows hit windpipe and the furthest ran only 20 yds.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:20 PM

"A neck shot makes them harder to find?" Most of the rifle shot does and a lot of the bucks I've killed were neck shot. Between probably thirty or fourty, they traveled a total of ZERO yards after the shot. I shoot them right behind the ears where the neck meets the head. As far as destroying meat, there is less meat there than just about any shot besides a head shot. A deer shot behind the shoulder or through one shoulder will inevitably have a large amount of blood-shot meat in one or both shoulders. The reason I don't head shoot them anymore is mostly cosmetic. A 130 grain bullet striking a skull at 3,000 fps makes quite a mess.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

My dad always shot for the neck.. They don't run... I have used both the shot on the neckand twice have put one behind the sholder.. I like the neck better..

Most of the people I know that shoot for the neck tend to shoot bolt action, smaller caliber rifles with less recoil. This is because the neck is a harder spot to hit than the vitals. But you will be a better shot with this setup than if you shoot something like a 7 Mag out of an auto.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Shot one in the neck from 238 yards this morning. It didnt run 1 inch neck shots are great. the only place to shoot deer.