Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Real Deer Hunting??????

Old 09-30-2007, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Real Deer Hunting??????

ORIGINAL: mohunter82

This is another one of those age old questions that will probably never have a right or wrong answer. Only an opinion. I've shot small bucks when i was younger. But then i matured in my experience and let a 130" 8 pointer walk last year. I didn't care if i killed him or not. as a matter of fact i didn't even kill one last year.
All depends on perspective. I've used post like these for years to determin hunting destintions. It is nice to see that trophy hunters have wised up are not jumping on post like these to boast and brag and almost tell everyone where their stands are just to prove they have the right to tell everyone else how they should hunt. Never understood it. Never will.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:19 AM
Spike

They hope in increase there ratings by showing us just how GREAT of hunters they are. A 130 is a Great trophy to us who have to work 5 days a week and love our families. Put meat on the table and enjoy ALL hunts.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

I get that same rush just having them walk under me regardless of size. I don't need to draw to get that rush, I also feel good about letting immature bucks walk. More of a I could have had you feeling. Archery season is so long there is no need to get antsy and draw on the first set of bones you see. Let em grow. Shoot a doe for the dinner table.
I feel the same way.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ya'll hunt ya'lls way and i'll hunt my way...as long as it's within the law, who cares?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

If you don't have a 130 class buck on the wall, then you will probably consider that a trophy. When you have half a dozen of them on the wall you might consider something a bit bigger as your goal. Maybe not.

As another example, I happen to have a mule deer on the wall that goes 221 7/8, and is 36" wide. If I held out for a bigger one, I might never shoot another mule deer in my life. I would be plum glad to shoot a mid 160's to mid 170's buck as long as he had features which would justify mounting him, however I do look for somewhat bigger stuff. I just won't pass up a good thing though.

I have to admit, my idea of what a trophy is has certainly changed as I have gotten older. I can shoot does for meat, but I'd rather eat a buck tag as shoot something with future potential. I didn't used to think that way. I like to tell opinionated folks, "give it five years and let's see if you tell me the same thing you did today."

Old 10-01-2007, 08:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've never netted profit a single dollar from deer hunting.

Thanks for the attack though.

Check out my place.. lots of pictures updated during the season about once a week...
http://www.lasraicesranch.com
[align=right]

[/align]

[align=center]Class[/align]
[align=center]Gross Score[/align]
[align=center]Price[/align]

[align=center]Management[/align]
[align=center]<134 7/8[/align]
[align=center]Upon Request[/align]

[align=center]140 Class[/align]
[align=center]135-144 7/8[/align]

[align=center]150 Class[/align]
[align=center]145-154 7/8[/align]

[align=center]160 Class[/align]
[align=center]155-164 7/8[/align]

[align=center]170 Class[/align]
[align=center]165-174 7/8[/align]

[align=center]180 Class[/align]
[align=center]175+[/align]
[align=center]Upon Request[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]So you charge for hunts but your CPA finds enough deductions so you don't show a profit?[/align]
Old 10-01-2007, 12:12 PM

I hate watching the outdoor channel and watching them pass up huge deer because of age. I have been seeing a lot of shows like this lately and I can't stand it. Half of the deer they pass on I would most certainly shoot.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:27 PM

I have always hunted for the thrill of the hunt and for the meat in my freezer.
A trophy is selfsatisfication you get from that kill shot whether it be the buck of a lifetime or the doe thats good eatin. Either way works for me!Its all about the hunt and the GREAT OUTDOORS!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:41 PM

i have to agree with you on that
Old 10-01-2007, 12:47 PM

QDMA,QDMA,QDMA

Quick Reply: Real Deer Hunting??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.