HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Age for youth hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/208704-age-youth-hunting.html)

Countryboy45683 09-25-2007 12:09 PM

Age for youth hunting

Hey all... Ive got a question for everyone with kids... What age do you think its appropriate to take a child hunting, first just to tag along with, and also for them to hunt. I cant remember what age I was when I tagged along with my dad deer hunting... Also when I was younger you had to be 12 to hunt, but now in pa there is a mentored youth hunting for deer turkey and tree rat. I think they can be any age for this program... Ive got a long way off with my son as he is only 5 months but I am planning ahead.. :D

retrieverman 09-25-2007 12:52 PM

RE: Age for youth hunting

Not to be elusive, but it depends on the kid. Both my sons killed their first deer when they were 6, but my youngest son was "ready" at 5. As far as taking kids to the woods just to watch, I believe the sooner the better.

In my opinion, it is best to get kids interested in hunting and outdoor activities before they get hooked on video games and TV.

Grasshopper13 09-26-2007 01:47 AM

My daughters were both 5 when they first tagged along on a deer hunt with me. My oldest daughter was 7 when she took her first deer. It was also her first year to hunt. I think I took both of them rabbit hunting when they were 3 or 4.

GH

Phil from Maine 09-26-2007 03:51 AM

Youths can tag along, however to hunt here they must be 10 years of age or older...

kevin1 09-26-2007 05:04 AM

Indiana has no minimum legal age, so we go by the individual child. When they're ready you'll know.

Rebel Hog 09-26-2007 05:08 AM

In FL, all kids under 16 have to be accompanied by an adult when hunting....

ccobbett 09-26-2007 10:34 AM

I agree, it when you feel they are ready. Here in Maine they need to be 10. However I have towed the spud with me since he could walk. At 6 he started hunting and I can't even remember what it used to be like. My best times are going to chase critters with Dylan. He is now 7 and between fishing and hunting, we are together most all of our free time. Taking Dill inspired my wife to do her first bear hunt last spring, it is now becomeing a family affair.

This was the Bear he shot two weeks ago in NH. 297lb

ccobbett 09-26-2007 10:35 AM

here are some more, sorry.... proud pappy.

ccobbett 09-26-2007 10:36 AM

few more

ccobbett 09-26-2007 10:39 AM

almost done