Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Age for youth hunting

Old 10-17-2007, 01:16 AM

Default RE: Age for youth hunting

i wish i had parents who got me into hunting. got into it myself and my dad kinda encouraged me. my family is all about some fishing, but im the only one in my fam to get into hunting. i know when i have kids ill teach them the outdoors but wont take them to hunt till they are mature enough to know what they are doin
Old 10-17-2007, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

5 and 6 is a good starting age for them tagging along...
I was shooting at the age of 9, shot my first deer at that age,but even with that being the case, my kids will practice gun safety at 10, but won't start actually hunting until 12 and I'll be the one carring the gun..
The reason being, I made lorts of mistakes at that age and I've seen lots made at these ages now..
Fact of the matter being, ulitimastely I'm the one reasonsible for not just what I do now, but for what my kids do to.........
INSURANCE PREMIUMS......
That is I'm worth more dead than alive........
Old 10-17-2007, 06:53 AM
Bartender

Personally 10 which it is currenly 12 here in Wi. My son is well above his age of 10 when it comes to smarts.
Must be the wife's side?My other son who is currently 6 was with me when he was 3 goose hunting.
Now he wants to hunt so bad but for now its the genesis bow for him.
If you recall I am part of the National In Schools Shooting program.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

All kids are different i guess so i would say when you think they can handle the conditions out there with you. I think my dad took me outbow hunting with him when i was5 years old i think, same age when he took me duck hunting too and ect. Minnesota has a minimum age of 12, i think that is a good age to go bye as kids aren't the most responsible at any younger age and how are some of these kids supposed to pull the minimum poundsback the state requires them to pull when bow hunting. Its good to start them young huntingbut lets not force the issue with them either, let them make that decision onthere own when and if they want to hunt! Me and my brother were shooting our little recurves when we were 2 to3years old, we might of been ready to hunt before alot of other kids but not all kids are alike so the age they have in Minnesota to me is a good thing.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:56 AM

Ive taken my son with me dove, deer and hog hunting since he was 2. He is now 4 and I couldnt dare leave him at the house when I go out, Unless its 5:00 in the morning and I can sneak out while he is asleep, but when I get home my son and wife both let me know about it.My daughter is 19 months and she loves to go dove hunting and hog hunting with us. I do my hog hunting at night with a spotlight out of my truck, and allways get up in front of the truck if I take a shot, so its easier obviously than taking them deer hunting. But at 4 years old, my son goes through all of the pre hunt rituals that I do, and lets me know if Im taking to long. We bow hunt and rifle hunt, blind, ladder stand, makeshift ground blinds and stalk, he will do them all.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:42 AM

I started my youngest boyat 6. . . .he was ready and had required focus. . . . notsure he was ready yet for a Colorado Elk hunt but it made for some great memories for us hunting Texas whitetail on the lease. Now that we have moved to Colorado he is pretty pissed that his big brother, 14and I get to hunt and he has to wait until he is 12.