Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Who uses a Jeep for their hunting vehicle? >

Who uses a Jeep for their hunting vehicle?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who uses a Jeep for their hunting vehicle?

Old 09-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Spike

Default Who uses a Jeep for their hunting vehicle?

I have recently moved and no longer have my 2 hunting buddies to rely on for transportation out in the woods; both had full size pickups. So I'm looking to get a small "something" that I can use around here (New England) and perhaps drive back to MI when I'm back there to hunt.

I have always wanted a Jeep and you can find a '91-95 at a reasonable price ($4-5k, sometimes cheaper). I don't want anything that is so nice and new that it's too expensive and/or I'll feel bad about beating on it. I have considered small pickups but I'm always looking back to Jeeps, both for their utility, capability and "fun" with the top down. I would add one of those trays that slide into a 2" hitch receiver and maybe a beefed-up rear tire/fuel can/gear rack:

I have considered an older Jeep Scrambler ('81-86, Jeep-like with some pickup capability) but that comes with several issues:

- less than 28,000 ever made over the 5 years, not very common
- there has been a resurgence in interest in this vehicle, lots of people looking for them
- were very prone to rust and rot out, so many are gone
- ones that aren't rusted heaps are $10-15k for a 21+ year old vehicle

Jeep Scrambler (shown with half-hard top; full hardtops and soft-tops are available, as well as a rear seat):

My 2 hunting partners and I have been talking about going out west to hunt in Fall 2008 and we would like to be able to take a vehicle with us that would be useful everyday in the NE and Midwest, as well as being mildly to moderately capable on trails and 2 tracks out west. I'm thinking a Jeep may be the better choice but I'm looking for input on what others use!

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who uses a Jeep for their hunting vehicle?

I did for 2 years.. barely enough room for just me when I was bowhutning, definately not enough for 2 guys. With the hitch rack, maybe good for two guys. Trust me, I loved my Jeep for everything else, but it is not a good hutning vehicle IMO. Even with the seat removed, ou can barely fit a tree stand in the back, most long guns will not fit back there in a way wehre they are flat and secure (they'll move around), and any hard bow case will have to sit on top of the wheel wells.

I never had the hitch, and when I got a small doe last year, I had to pile her on top of all of my equipment, and could barely see out of the back. That was basically the doe, my climberr, my gun case, and some clothing: that's it.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Spike

I use it and I love it. I have a 2004 Unlimited, which is longer than the standard Wrangler, with a rackthat holds 1000 Lbs.attached to the rear hitch. That's all I need. The rifle and equipment go behind the back seat and the 150 QT. cooler on the rack.
Omar
Old 09-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

i just sold my Jeep for $5,700.00 on auto trader. it was a 1984 CJ7 4x4 with 6" of lift and brand new 35" Ground Hawg mud tires. i also put a v8 in it and an automatic tranny. the front and rear end had lockers, winch, off road lighting, etc. i could have probally got 8k for it but i wanted to get rid of it fast. i needed money for hunt'n.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

I had a CJ5.Loved it but didn't have any room.Had a Small Pickup hated it.Went with a Full Size Pickup.

big rockpile
Old 09-23-2007, 10:41 PM

i got a 98 xj. does the job just fine for me especially with the hitch rack, im all set!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Banned

Here is my "Jeep". 1977 Chevy K5 Blazer. I permanently took the doors and top off for the open feeling. Regular jeeps are too small for my 6'3" body and I like room anyway. These still have super short wheel bases and go damn near anywhere. I put a 4" Superlift on it and it has 35" tires.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

As mentioned earlier, I also have a 2004 Jeep Unlimited. Has a longer wheel base than the older jeeps. Have gone over pretty rough terrain and deep water. With the rear seat folded up I am able to fit my self and my hunting partner (who is easily 6'4") and all our gear for crossbow hunting as well as a decent size deer with no problem.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Spike

A 2004-06 Unlimited would be sweet, but they are too new to find at a decent price. The cheapest I've seen is around $14k.

Sounds like a short wheel base Jeep could be doable. These are the types of racks I'm talking about:

Along with this:

I suppose I could do something like this if more capacity is really going to be a concern:

Old 09-24-2007, 09:01 PM

I used to own a 1989 Jeep Cherokee and it was an incredible mud vehicle.
Had 31 x 10.50 15's Mud tires and went anywhere. I stripped out the carpet
in the rear and had great storage. Plus had a rear seat for gear or passengers.

Unfortunately I lost her to a little thing called Hurricane Katrina. May she rest in piece.

Eric Stacy

Quick Reply: Who uses a Jeep for their hunting vehicle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.