Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

field dressin question

Old 09-21-2007, 07:40 PM

Default field dressin question

hi everyone im new here to the forums and hunting. Well my question is what was it like gutting/field dressing your first deer, because ill be needing some tips soon becuase we have been scouting alot of deer in our one spot...
thanks Bt
Old 09-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Spike

Default RE: field dressin question

I wouldn't be able to tell you what its like to field dress a deer because I am a newbie and havent gotten the privlage to do that yet.. Hopefully I will be able to do so this season. But my grandpa hear of a new way he hasn't tried it yet.....

Grandpa: "I recently heard of a new and easy way to skin a deer or an elk. You hang it on a secure tree or skinning rack. Cut the hideall the way from the A-hole to the neck, then cut the hide on the inside of all four legs to where it meets the cut from the A-hole to the neck, after you cut the hide around the bottom ofall four legs Then you cut around the neck peel it back until you have enough hide to wrap around a baseball. You then tie a rope around the hide, that is wrapped around the baseball, attach it to a trailer hitch and drive slowly away. Supposedly the hide peels off like a coat."

He said it took him 3 days to field dress this elk... Hopefully you can do it quicker...

Old 09-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Spike

Sorry it wont except myphoto....
Old 09-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

My first one wasn't bad, as I can recall(25 yrs ago). Just be sure not to go too deep with the knife. I start near the base of the sternum and go one layer at a time, till you get to the muscle that covers the belly. Get a little nick going towards the guts, then put your index and middle fingers in there. Pull up on the skin, away from the guts, and carefully slide your knife between your two fingers, slicing the skin open. After that, dig in! NOTE**Be dayum sure there's not a broken off broad head in there before you go grabbing stuff. Practice makes perfect.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:32 PM

it always easy till you get to the damn pelvic bone
Old 09-23-2007, 02:33 PM

well it happened gutted my first deer it was a pretty big doe it wasn't as disgusting as i thought but thanks evryone for the tips
Old 09-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

All the stuff inside has to go outside. Try not to puncture the guts as previously posted and the rest is easy. I usually don't cut the pelvic bone until after I get to camp. To get everything else out of that cavity I completely gut the deer and then cut all around the anus pretty deeply and then I find a forked stick and break off a fork to be about1"and stick it into the body cavity through to the outside of the anus and then I do a "rotocram" I spin the stick several times and it winds up all the goodies in the pelvic cavity and then I pull it out. The cut anus is usually attached and comes out like a plug with all the connecting tissue. When I get him back to camp I use a saw or hatchet open the bone and clean it out.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I made a mess of my first one...[:'(]

That was a long time ago and I've learned a lot through "the school of hard knocks". Here's a suggestion though. I recently bought a couple of these DVDs for a friend who has just started hunting and one for my 16 year old son. They are only $12 and are great instruction on field dressing and butchering deer, from the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries: https://www3.dgif.virginia.gov/estore/proddetail.asp?prod=VW250
Old 09-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is an excellent video.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602008-cat601965-cat601976&id=0005991613056a&navCount=1&amp ;podId=0005991613056&parentId=cat601976&ma sterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QW& amp;rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat60197 6&hasJS=true
Old 09-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

breath through your mouth the entire time.

Quick Reply: field dressin question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.