HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Seeking Advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/207422-seeking-advice.html)

Megawatt 09-17-2007 05:12 PM

Seeking Advice

My Hunting partners & I just got access to a new farm to hunt in central Kentucky.
The only downfall I see with it... is that it's a working cattle farm. Black Angus to be exact. Now there's appx 140 acres, and the cattle probably have access to 80% of it.
Scouting has revealed a few fresh tracks, & I spotted a small buck near the creek crossing. Not smoking hot by any means, but has potential.
The lease was real cheap, so I haven't lost much if it doesn't turn into a hot spot, but I wanted to ask You experts if Hunting a cattle farm is a setup for heartache, and if anyone has had success, what methods do You employ....dealing with the cattle & their presence there ?
Thanks in andavce to any help given !

big rockpile 09-17-2007 08:13 PM

RE: Seeking Advice

Well don't shoot any Cows and you should be fine.Killed alot of Deer around Cows.

big rockpile

Megawatt 09-17-2007 08:32 PM

That's good news, I have never shared the land with cattle before.
I have 1 stand placed outside of the fence, near a water hole, but the other 3 are in areas they can graze.
Is there anything different You have noticed in this type of setting ?
Are the deer bothered by the cows presence ? Do they avoid areas occupied by the cattle ?

Little Yellowjacket 09-17-2007 08:49 PM

we farm here in alabama, and the deer are not spooked at all by our cattle. they graze right along with them as a matter of fact. The only advice i could tell you is watch out for the cows, and be aware of where your bullet is going because it is more open range. BTW, all of our cows are black angus.

Megawatt 09-17-2007 09:14 PM

OK, sounds like there's not much to worry about....(other than hitting a cow by mistake )
I will try to put out some food plots soon, but I will have to find a way to keep the cattle out of it first !
Thanks to all !

N2Design 09-18-2007 09:03 AM

I have the same situation in Missouri. I've found that deer (especially bucks) hide in the area where cows don't have access. This is especially true during the rut. I have experienced lots of chasing in that area. In my opinion, it is an advantage because the deer seem to be drawn to smaller areas where cows have no access. It's kinda like a funnel for me.

mathews outback 09-21-2007 10:30 PM

cows and deer dont mix well for some reason

smallbuckswalk 10-08-2007 03:06 AM

Wooded fenceline pasture outer corners between feeding and bedding areas are lethal spots ,set up so your blowing into the pasture also on the way to your stand I would workthe nearestcow pie with my rubber boots and it seemed to always cover my entry trail like a charm ,for the few straglers that might actually come through the pasture but almost all deer walked around the corner,Enter the stand from the pasture corner (watch out for big mean bulls they will trample you )its quite and the wind should be in your face as you enter if you have enough woods tuck in a few yards in the woods climb high so your blowing in the pasture. Its almost too easy like fish in a barrel. Good hunting.

timbercruiser 10-08-2007 06:32 AM

Look for easy crossings within the fence, low top wire, easy place to crawl under the wire, etc. Deer are a little lazy and although they can easily jump a 5' fence if there is a easy place to cross they will frequent it.