Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer droppings

Old 09-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer droppings

Someone once told me that there is a difference between buck and doe droppings. They said if all the pellets are together in one clump then it is a buck, and if they are spreed out they came from a doe. Does anyone know if this is true? or even know what I am talking about.The reason I was asking is that I was scouting today and most of the droppings were in clumps.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer droppings

Old wives tale. You can't tell the difference but I still hear that all the time. I read somewhere that the clumped up poop is due to being compacted while the deer is bedded down.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/armchair_biologist/poop/index.htm

Read this! I hope its ok I posted this!
Old 09-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I thought buck poop tasted like chocolate and the does taste like vanilla????????
Old 09-17-2007, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

No differance between buck and doe.If it's clumped.they're eating soft mast(apples,vegetation,etc.)--hard pellets,they're eating hard mast(acorns,browse,etc)
Old 09-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

What I read in a student's college book on whitetail Biologia, most all mature bucks have a genetic intestenal infection that causes the pellets to clump together while the does have no infection so their pellets are loose. I raised whitetails for the state of NC for 12 years and all my buck's pellets clumped and the does did not. It's is not a myth.
BBO
Old 09-18-2007, 09:18 AM

Ol' timers call buck droppings "forest licorice". They say if it tastes like black licorice, it's a buck.

WARNING: BEWARE OF OL' TIMERS WHO CAN KEEP A STRAIGHT FACE.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

I thought buck poop tasted like chocolate and the does taste like vanilla????????

Old 09-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

There's a book called"Whitetail Wisdom" and ithas a special chapter called Pelletology. In there it states that if the pellets are individual and not clumped the deer are eating primarily leaves, browse and twigs. If they are clumped together they are eating mainly grasses and forbs. From their studies the size of the pellets on penned deer do not show in any way the difference between a buck or doe. Now if you have bucks 4 1/2 or older in our area they say there are exceptions.. The studies show that some mature bucks do drop more pellets per pile.
[/align]
Old 09-18-2007, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

That made me laugh....

Quick Reply: Deer droppings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.