Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Baiting/Training Deer.. Ahhhh! >

Baiting/Training Deer.. Ahhhh!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baiting/Training Deer.. Ahhhh!

Old 09-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Baiting/Training Deer.. Ahhhh!

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

Very good points. Like stated before, I do not have I problem with throwing out a bit of corn. I guess the name of this post should have been Hunting Trained Deer! And I also agree that high fence hunting is normally a No No situation. It has it's place with kids and people who may have disablities or something.
As for who died and left me in charge. Also stated before this is My opinion not yours or anyone elses. Just because it is Legal, Does not make it ethical, nor rewarding. If you hunt stricktly for food, then amen, keep on feedin. But if you hunt over a timed feeder. And kill trained animals. Shame on you. Exspecially if you are only trying to kill Godzilla. The hunt is not about killing the biggest deer. It is about memories. My memories will never include the sound of a feeder going off I can promise you that. And for all those who harvest game animals this way I challenge you to ry to harvest animals in another way. It can be done. People do it every year. Perfect example... Tred Barta.
I disagree that high fence shooting has a place with kids.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know why anyone would be against a little corn.

It doesn't change any thing. Deer are smart.

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=67160&fr=yvmtf%20%3Chttp://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=67160&fr=yvmtf%3E
Old 09-17-2007, 06:09 PM

I see nothing wrong with baiting. Deer that come running to the sound of a timed feeder is more the exception than the rule. And baiting certainly doesn't guarantee high fives and tenderloins. As for high fenced hunting, if the property's big enough it doesn't matter how tall the fence is. My two cents on that...
-- B
Old 09-17-2007, 06:21 PM

i feel if its legal, and you want to set up a feeder do it. sometimes i would rather hunt them the "natural" way, but if you just want to put some deer meat in the freezer, and are having a hard time patterning them for whatever reason, i say go for it. i wouldnt see any shame in it, especially if it is legal
Old 09-17-2007, 06:22 PM

i meant as LONG as its legal**
Old 09-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

...Like stated before, I do not have I problem with throwing out a bit of corn. I guess the name of this post should have been Hunting Trained Deer! And I also agree that high fence hunting is normally a No No situation. It has it's place with kids and people who may have disablities or something...
More hypocritical double talk! I understand from your previous posts that you are FOR baiting as long as it is done for YOUR benefit and YOUR way, and it appears that you are also FOR high fence hunting as long as you get to decide who hunts in the pen. Man, get off the fence on these topics if you want to condemn others for doing them.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Where I hunt, it's all tall pines that are planted for lumber and intended for lumber. I don't think there's an oak within three miles. You can see tracks all through the fallen pine needles, but you can sit on these tracks for weeks and see nothing. We have four inches of sandy/black dirt mixture for topsoil and then it's clay all the way as far as you can dig. Food plots just don't seem to do much in the area where I live and you can't water them without a tanker most times. Most any deer you see around here are traveling, not standing in a plot feeding unless there's a corn pile. And even then, if it's cob corn you can find the cobs for miles because they are always on the move. There's no water, unless it rains and then it's just puddles. Take your pick, put out corn or sit in the stand watching the leaves and pine needles fall.

I personally don't understand watching some of the shows where deer, elk and bear are shot at nearly a quarter mile. At least on a corn pile you have the risk of error with scent and movement. I don't knock those scoping a deer from three counties away and shooting it, so I don't see why any of them have reason to criticize anyone else for using legal methods to try and level the playing ground.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beezer,
I understand where you are coming from, and I also agree that shooting animals at extreme distances while legal is also not ethical! " On an average joe standpoint" There is always the ex sniper who can prove that long shots are ethical and easy!

I believe that any way for us to get a kid hooked on hunting is a step in the right direction. High fence or not. Although there is ample opportunity in most states for newcomers to take animals.

And I guess that if that is the only feasable way for someone to enjoy "Gods Country" Then so be it.
It doesn't matter wether or not you hunt deer out west, over a timed feeder, or in a pen. Outdoor supplies will continue making their money.
I guess that thier truly is a difference in sportsman....
Old 09-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

Don't get me wrong, I don't think "shooting fish in a barrel" is right at all. I don't do it and probably wouldn't let my kid. But, I can see where some people think it's okay and gives a child a fair chance. I just don't see where putting feed out for deer is a bad thing if it gives opportunities that normally wouldn't be there. Bags of corn are almost worth their weight in gold around here this time of year and if you aren't using it, the guy down the road is. He'll also be the one seeing deer while you're watching squirrels. I know there are obviously natural food sources because there are deer. But, I have deer bedded within a rock's throw of the house that feed probably 500yds away. I may not have access to those areas, so feeding them nearby just keeps them where we can get an opportunity to fill our freezers.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:33 PM

I have the deer around me trainedto fall down when I see them!

Quick Reply: Baiting/Training Deer.. Ahhhh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.