Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Washing Gear

Old 09-13-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Washing Gear

How would I go about washing gear

I have several things, parkas, pants, under armour type clothes, cotton stuff.

Can I wash this all together? Or should I seperate things?

Plus what do I use? Cold water or hot? Fast cycle or slow/gentle? Hang dry or dryer?

Dont usually wash clothes lol. any help is appreciated.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:54 PM
byg
Spike

Default RE: Washing Gear

I am probably not much help,but I wash it all in cold water to help keep colors bright,then usually hang to dry. I usually use arm&hammer scent free detergent,I heard it is just as good as thescent free hunting detergents but cheaper. I think this year I might try the dryer scent sheets see how they work.Then I put it all in an air tight tub.I dont think the cycle thing matters.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:09 AM

Cold water is best, and for the detergent make sure that it doesn't have any UV Brighteners. Deer see UV like bright yellow. Last year I used Scent Shield for Non-Carbon and Scent Blocker Carbon Wash for my carbon gear. This year I got rid of my carbon gear and I am going with RiversWest. Then keep it in a air tight container. Before you dry your clothes I would spin the dryer with a damp towel covered in baking soda to cut down on the scent from normal clothes drying. Good Luck.

JMO
Old 09-14-2007, 07:30 AM

Starting now and continuing thru November, everything that gets washed in my washing machine gets washed with scent free detergent, everything! I use Tide Free, you don't need to worry about your underwear having UV brighteners in them. If I'm washing outerwear then I use the detergent that doesnt have UV brighteners. I use cold wateron all of my hunting gear to preserve the colors as much as possible.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

I was all mine in sportwash with UV killer. Then line dry and place them in an air tight plastic box. I cut various aromics such as pine limbs,sage,grass, etc., place them in an old pillow case (washed with clothes of course) and place that in the box with them. I replace the contents of the pillow case weekly and try to wash the clothes every second trip out. In that box I carry two complete sets of clothes. Two of everything headnets, hats, shirts, pants, socks. I also drop a bottle of scent killer spray in the box so as I can do my pack before heading into the field.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:07 AM

Plenty of good advice so far. I would add that I do use a dryer to dry most of my hunting clothes, but will not for things such as my wool coat. I would also advise not to store your clothes with waffers or other scented items in the container, unless the scent is compatible with where you will behunting.....ie...do not use pine scent if not hunting in pine.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:35 AM

ok, what would be adviseable to wear for my jaunt over to my hunting spot, I mean after all my truck smells like smoke and what not. Prolly just my under garments maybe, like my under armour or something?
Old 09-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

I wear my normal clothes to where I park the truck and then trade out into my hunting clothes. I spray my hands with scent killer and whipe my hair, face, and armpits. Before I head off to the blind. I for the most part try to keep all my odors that are inside the truck off my hunting clothes,boots and pack by carrying them in the bed, if the weather allows. I persoanlly do not get near the cab of the truck with my hunting clothes on. My wife and I both smoke and when she drives my truck she likes to spray that frilly stuff.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Typical Buck

yeah all good stuff..there are cheaper detergents in the supermarket for 3.99 when on sale ..read
the back..but i think the ALL FREE has no brightenersin it..get the dryer sheets..and spray the
dryer and wipe dry b4 using with a scent killer. im stuck on dead down wind
Old 09-15-2007, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Have to agree good replies to your question.
For me...I do not use the detergent but do use Arm&Hammer baking soda, cold water, regular cycle and then I hang all of my hunting clothes out on an outside line and leave them there til I wear them. After a hunt I hang them back up outside. I so have an advantage of living in the boonies so that helps w/ no scent other than what the deer are used to for my area. I also wash in baking soda, body and hair and also use scent shield deoderant....

Another thing that may sound nuts to many is that sometimes I do not eat meat several days prior to season opener. A deer can smell a meat eater, in a major way, it is hardwired into their brains.... I do not always follow that practice cause I have found that it really makes no difference either way ......it's just how I was taught so....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quick Reply: Washing Gear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.