Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

IM FURIOUS

Old 09-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default IM FURIOUS

I am currently leasing some land from a friend of my families. They live in Virginia and dont use it. I recently recieved a call from them telling me to go down to the lease immediately. I got off duty that afternoon and took the 20 minute drive to my lease. There were hazmat, state police, county police, and DNR(WLF) agents everywhere.

There is a pipeline that goes through the lease. It's owned by DOW chemical. The guy who owns the lot next to me noticed that the water in his pond was tainted. He called the officials and they traced the leak back to my lease. They have basically told me that there was a GIGANTIC leak and had tainted all of the drinking/well water in the area. Wildlife biologists were inspecting the game and hazmat was trying to clean it up. They said they would call me when it got taken care of, which could be as long as 3 months! They basically told me not to go back on the property.

Is there anyway I can make them pay for another lease? I'm probly gonna go down to the Internal Affairs office and ask to see a JAG tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: IM FURIOUS

Oh man... that's horrible! Sorry to hear about that bro... What was the leak, asbestos?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

I have no clue. They wouldnt even let me through the gate.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Man thats a total Bummer.And to tell the truth I would say you are SOL recooping any of your loss for years.

big rockpile
Old 09-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Spike

I would go see the person who leased the property to you and get my money back. You can't make them pay for another lease elsewhere but they should return your money, after all you leased it for this season and now you can't use it for 3 or more months. If the person who leased it doesen't return your money I would take them to small claims court. I'm sure any judge who heres this case will side with you and make them repay you plus they may have to also pay court costs.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would be curious what the contract that the landowner has from Dow Chemical says concerning spills. I would guess the landowners have already contacted a good lawyer and if they are a friends family not only will they be well compensated, but payment of your lease money should be a small concern. Talk to them, and possibly have your JAG lawyer speak to their lawyer.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Where in VA????????????
Old 09-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

Is there an actuall lease contract you have signed. I would think that if it states you have the land for hunting and its not available to you to hunt you should get your money back. Also is DOW paying this guy anything to run the pipeline on the land? (we dont have the lines in IN so I am not sure how that works.)
Old 09-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Spike

What state is the land in? and what was released from the pipeline?

If they are a friend of the family, you should be able to work something out so you don't get screwed. DOW is in for some major $$$, and your lease will be pennies to them.

Oh, and I have more bad news for you - if it is as bad as it sounds, forget 3 months. All that will cover is the repair of the pipeline, the excavation of some of the contaminated soil, and maybe part of the initial assessment. If this release has already contaminated groundwater in the area, and made it's way up to the surface water too, the site won't be remediated in 3 years.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Where is VA are you? After speaking with you JAG Officer, I would try to contact DOW and explain you issue and see if they have other land in the area that you could hunt. They are in for a monster law suit and might want a little bit of good will getting out about now.

Quick Reply: IM FURIOUS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.