HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How important is sent, really...? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/206292-how-important-sent-really.html)

georgiahick 09-10-2007 08:56 AM

How important is sent, really...?

Ive been huntin off and on for years, one thing I have a problem believing is how your sent will scare off deer. I have grown up in the country in the woods. Ive seen more deer tramping through the woods, no cammo, no sent block anything.....

Why should I wear it, my buddies tell me Id see more deer....but it seems like I see about as many as though do...

Thanks

kevin1 09-10-2007 09:47 AM

RE: How important is sent, really...?

You don't have to wear it, and you'd probably just be wasting your money if you did. If you're in the woods and you're seeing and killing enough deer to suit you then you definitely don't need it. I intentionally scent up my property just to get the deer used to the smell of me, I have deer in the freezer and will take more.

georgiahick 09-10-2007 09:50 AM

I hunt in a big cattle area, and the smell of manuer chokes me some times....if they smell me over it then they are doing good.

GR8RALLY 09-10-2007 12:50 PM

I'm big on scent control during hunting season, I even go a little overboard, but to each his own.

As for seeing deer, I see them ALL the time. During spring and summer, the wife, kids and I will sit together in a blind or in our two man stands and watch them feed, etc. in our food plots. No scent control.

BUT, during bow season, to ensure a close sighting and opportunity to harvest one, I take extreme measures in the scent control department.

During rifle, I still do, but admit at times I may not go to such lenghts to cover my scent, I just play the wind more.

Bottom line, if your seeing deer or scenting up to your hunting area, thats great. Hope everyone has a great hunting season, Good Luck to all!!

lethalconnection 09-10-2007 04:07 PM

Ive never worried about scent cover really and i see lots of game every year, one thing i do take into account sometimes is the wind cause with that wind it can carry scent and noise that you make, but i dont worry too much about scent , the only thing i stay away from is using fabric softner or anything on my camo to add extra perfume to it plus i dont wear deo-odorant or anti-persperiant due to the perfumy smell, thats as far as i go with scent control.

deerhunter518 09-10-2007 10:20 PM

To me sent is only a factor in archery season, at least where i hunt. Rifle season i can take shots at deer at a pretty long distance so im not too worried. but archery you need to get close.

nodog 09-11-2007 05:59 AM

ORIGINAL: georgiahick

I hunt in a big cattle area, and the smell of manuer chokes me some times....if they smell me over it then they are doing good.
Excelent point. I've hunted next to rotting things and it is a help. Bales left too rot,next to a stand are a good cover scent.

Your seeing all the deer you want. Do you really need us to say the obvious, George. Then again, mature deer travelwith thewind in their face. They aint trying to smell feefeewith the windup their arse. How do you know you are seeing all the deer you want? Can't hurt to give some of it a try.

DoctorDeath 09-11-2007 07:18 AM

ORIGINAL: georgiahick

Ive been huntin off and on for years, one thing I have a problem believing is how your sent will scare off deer. I have grown up in the country in the woods. Ive seen more deer tramping through the woods, no cammo, no sent block anything.....

Why should I wear it, my buddies tell me Id see more deer....but it seems like I see about as many as though do...

Thanks
The good Doctor finds this to be an interesting point ...please post pictures of all the big bucks you have harvested over the years so we can enjoy admiring them and ponder thevalidity of your statement....pictures of your successful upwind hunts would make your position much more convincing.

dd

Rebel Hog 09-11-2007 07:22 AM

How important is sent, really...?

One thing for sure, I wouldn't use Aqua Velva or Old Spiceon hunting day!:)

Kybuckhunter 09-11-2007 07:31 AM

Scent control is very, very, very, important. If you have hunt deer very much you would know that. And if your talking mature deer then you will not kill them very often if your careless with your scent. Use unscented everything and play the wind and you will be much more successful.

Cover scents are a waste of time. Every scent has its own molecular finger print. Thats why a deer can smell where another deer stepped many hours before with no trouble. The smell of the dirt, weed, corn stalks, leaves, etc. is much stronger than the spot the deer stepped but the deer can track the other at a fast pace with no trouble. This is also why a dog can smell a body on the bottom of a lake or in a huge pile of rubble or drugs hidden in all kinds of stuff.