Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How important is sent, really...? >

How important is sent, really...?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How important is sent, really...?

Georgiahickhas a point; you can't compare where most of you hunt to our region. Let me give you an example: I rode in the woods for 45 minutes last Saturday. I saw18 deer,6 of which were bucks. Hardly any of them broke and run except the bucks that where together. There were 2 bucks I know arewere at least 2.5 yearsold in the group.I ride around all the time and see this many deer, so youcan't really compareyour region to ours.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bryant1

Georgiahickhas a point; you can't compare where most of you hunt to our region. Let me give you an example: I rode in the woods for 45 minutes last Saturday. I saw18 deer,6 of which were bucks. Hardly any of them broke and run except the bucks that where together. There were 2 bucks I know arewere at least 2.5 yearsold in the group.I ride around all the time and see this many deer, so youcan't really compareyour region to ours.
True enough! Some places are just that way. Guys that hunt there just don't understand all the fuss others of us go through. Lucky bastards
Old 09-13-2007, 08:33 PM

I think scent control is a huge factor just like the wind. During archery season I go a little overboard with my gear as well as truck. If the wind isn't right then I think it is time to move to another location so that the wind is in your favor. There sense of smell is often greater than our eyesight through the trees and just because you haven't seen a deer wind you doesn't mean he didn't wind you way before you can see him. Plus, I think does and immature bucks are a little less uneasy about scent than the big boys are and thats maybe why they get a little closer and make you wonder about the importance of scent, but I think the big one might take the long way around a stand that has scent contamination.

JMO
Old 09-15-2007, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If deer could only smell as well as me, I would have a trophy buck every year.

The deer's sense of smell has been definedas incomprehensible to man. We cannot begin to imagine how well they can smell. It is their number one defensive mechanism.

Sure you can see deer with no regard for scent control, but IMO that's simply because there are more deer. Trying that same strategy when you hunt woods with less than 10 deer per square mile will prove disastrous.

There's no doubt in my mind that any hunter that does not realize and appreciate the deer's ability to smell you is making a crucial mistake.
The biggest mistake of all!!
Old 09-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Only the most important aspect of hunting.

Ive seen more deer tramping through the woods, no cammo, no sent block anything.....
It's the ones you dont' see that you should consider.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:28 PM

good point!!
Old 09-16-2007, 06:37 AM

Hunt the wind. I try to limit the obvious human scents when I hunt, but I don't get dressed in the field.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

A deer's best attribute to his survival over many thousands of years has been his nose. With this being said, a whitetail'ssense of smellis the most imortant ofall hissenses in his quest to stay alive.
Good point.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

As stated in my earlier post it depends on time of year. It would be interesting to see a study on when the majority of the real big bucks are harvested. My guess would be during a time when they are in the full rut. At this time their reproductive urges far out weigh their safety concerns. With this said, it's not that I will be smoking a big Cuban and eating doritos in the stand during the rut, or not using the wind, I just will not be worried about wearing the scent blocker suit.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want that Buck or Doe 10 feet below you scent is very important..If you use a rifle and shoot them at 75-200 yrds then eat chilli, smoke that cigar...but scent dose make a differance exspecialy when you get into older and wiser deer....I alway put dirt,leaves and twings from the area I huntin my tub(replace every year)I put my hunting clothes in its free and it works,the only other thing I do is shower with scent free soap and spray it on my bow,boots,gloves and hat...

Quick Reply: How important is sent, really...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.