Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lunch in the treestand

Old 09-09-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Lunch in the treestand

Second year deer hunter, looking for any advice on what to eat in the treestand. Last year, my first year, our party spent only a few hours in the woods before going back home for food. I'd like to spend all day in there, figuring the less I move, the less scent I'll leave and the quieter I'll be...and the more time to bag that deer. I know people who bring soda cans and sausage sandwiches...and I guess I'm looking for a food less noisy and smelly to eat, short of eating apples all day.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lunch in the treestand

i bring poptarts, peanutbutter and honey,sometimes even a ham and cheese sandwich....i freeze bottled water to keep it cool until it's time to eat.....
Old 09-09-2007, 04:54 PM

You could carry a collapsable lunch bag and make sandwitches to put in it. They aren't smelly and are easy to make. Also snacks like trail mix. Things like that are good. Just put them in a container and then you don't have to open a noisy bag. For drinks, heck I've drank coffee in the stand b4. LOL! But gatorade, water, and soda's probably don't put off much scent.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

if I bring anything its usually just some jerky to snack on. And if you bring soda bring a bottle and not a can. Cans are alot noisier when opening, especially in the extremely quiet woods. Plus having a lid the smell goes away. I usually just take bottled water but have taken a bottle of soda on occasions. I wouldn't recommend a big bag of Doritos or anything
Old 09-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Peanut butter with apple jam sandwiches (make my own apple jam and jelly). In zip locks so less noise. Also drink boxes(less noise than openning a can.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:47 PM

I usually just order takeout, napolis delivers right to my treestand. no j/k haha I usually take a peanut butter and mayonaise sandwich in a sandwich bag, and usually a bottle of grape juice, cause deer like the smell of grape juice and mayonaise.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:31 PM
Fork Horn

PBJ and fruit (apples mostly). Also bring a granola bar and will have a thermos of hot coffee. I'm in a stand, 30+ feetup, so I don't think the aroma from the coffee is too much of an issue, but I guess it can be.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:06 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: countertop

PBJ and fruit (apples mostly). Also bring a granola bar and will have a thermos of hot coffee.
Same here, minus the coffee.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Trail mix, jerky and fish crackers to snack on. A sandwich for lunch and a hydration bottle filled with Propel water to drink. All the food is packed into Ziploc bags for the noise. A good book to pass the time. A empty water bottle or two for pee breaks and I'm good for the day. I get into the stand an hour before day break and stay until dark.

Hanging in there...
Reid
Old 09-10-2007, 12:54 PM

Looks as if everyone covered what I usually take. Water, trail mixes (nuts & Fruits) PB & Jam, protein bars and scent wipes/breath neutralizerwhen I'm done.

Quick Reply: Lunch in the treestand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.