Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lunch in the treestand

Old 09-14-2007, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lunch in the treestand

I take granola in a zip-lock bag to eat and a solid chocolate bar (no guey inside). Often I'll make "GORP" -- trail mix, granola, and some M&M candies mixed together in a satisfying proportion. The trail mix is a blend of various nuts and dried fruits -- raisins, peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, coconut pulp, etc. I find this very satisfying. I'll have a snack of this about 10 AM and then eat the same, maybe in a larger quantity, about 1 PM. If I feel ambitious I may also pack fruit roll-ups. I got accustomed to this kind of food when backpacking. The food is impervious to temperature variations (the chocolate is good unless it gets hot, and that rarely is an issue for deer hunting or mountain backpacking), spoilage is not a concern, and squishing the food is not an issue. I also carry water. I make sure, though, that I buy RealHunter brand unscented water!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:05 AM

the whole eating thing doesnt work for me b/c naturally, you have to go relieve yourself of sometime. so id rather starve myself, in iraq there were days when you got luck to see food. so it doesnt bother me too much.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Apple juice to drink, then it is better if they smell it!!
Old 09-14-2007, 12:48 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

Aside from a bottle of water (about a qrt) you can't go wrong with the prepackaged stuff.........Bananas, apples, peaches, pears and hardboiled eggs. And who would pass on home made venison jerky?