HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   No Acorns In Missouri (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/205771-no-acorns-missouri.html)

N2Design 09-05-2007 07:54 PM

No Acorns In Missouri

We had a really late freeze in Missouri and it affected lots of plants, including our oaks. There are NO acorns in my area and NO persimons. Has anyone ever experienced a season like this? If so, do you think an acorn attractant would work well? I saw one at WalMart last week and thought about buying it. Kinda kicking myself for not doing it now.

979Hunter 09-05-2007 10:12 PM

RE: No Acorns In Missouri

I know Acorn rage by Wildgame innovations is selling very well this year. I also can suggest a product that lasts longer than most any other product, it is a deer lick called Fusion. The makers came out with a Persimmon this year and I think Cabelas has it on-line. I have been real happy with the product and like to let people know about it, because its a unique hard cooked deer lick that works. Good luck with the season, my brother lives in Missouri and says the same thing about the freeze. He is using the Fusion licks this year also.

big rockpile 09-05-2007 10:15 PM

Same problem here.I think on my place they will hit the regular Green Browse.Then I have a bunch of Sumac that I think they will be eating the Heads off.They usually are some around Firearms Season.

big rockpile

big rockpile 09-05-2007 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: 979Hunter

I know Acorn rage by Wildgame innovations is selling very well this year. I also can suggest a product that lasts longer than most any other product, it is a deer lick called Fusion. The makers came out with a Persimmon this year and I think Cabelas has it on-line. I have been real happy with the product and like to let people know about it, because its a unique hard cooked deer lick that works. Good luck with the season, my brother lives in Missouri and says the same thing about the freeze. He is using the Fusion licks this year also.
Be careful with some of this stuff it is considerd Baiting which will get you in trouble very fast.Acorn rage is one of them,so is them Game Blocks and CMere Deer,the dry stuff.

big rockpile

wis_bow_huntr 09-06-2007 05:32 AM

Acorns in my neck of the woods in WI are the best they have been in 10 years, Great big clusters of them this year, its nice to see them again. I think they go in cycles.

DoctorDeath 09-06-2007 06:19 AM

Well personally I like it where there are not a LOT of acorns ...means the deer have to move more to find food ..not just lay around then get up and move 100 yards and fill up and then lay back down again .... I have had very good luck with just corn soaked in apple cyder ....

dd

kingofspring 09-06-2007 07:15 AM

Exactly, except for the corn part. We've had a few huuuuge acorn crops and I'm looking forward to having a few deer moving in the daylight looking for food.

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

Well personally I like it where there are not a LOT of acorns ...means the deer have to move more to find food ..not just lay around then get up and move 100 yards and fill up and then lay back down again .... I have had very good luck with just corn soaked in apple cyder ....

dd

Hard Luck 09-06-2007 09:49 AM

Good thinking there, when there are acorns, you don't know where to look in my part of Mo. as there are thousands of acres and the whole place is full of acorns. This year, there are No acorns in Iron Co. Mo. if you find any you will find deer. But, there aren't any.

Grasshopper13 09-06-2007 10:13 AM

The red oaks have some acorns here, but the squirrels are cutting them hard right now. They may be gone before the deer have a chance to get any. Crop feilds and food plots will be good areas this year.

GH

baldntatted 09-06-2007 10:51 AM

we have the same issue here in nwtn the mast crop stinks this year except for red acorns.