Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 IS THIS A WILD STORY OR WHAT!!! >

IS THIS A WILD STORY OR WHAT!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

IS THIS A WILD STORY OR WHAT!!!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: IS THIS A WILD STORY OR WHAT!!!

Hey Coyote170.....I'm up North of You by Perryville.....out in the Country.

I've been down to Sikeston several times...especialy when we geta Crew together and eat at Lamberts Cafe....MMmmmmmm!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

That is Wild.

Last Saturday morning, my buddy Bo Warren and I were trolling for stripers in the Chesapeake Bay. We were 11-1/2 miles offshore in about 80 feet of water contemplating why the fish weren't biting. We looked back to check our gear and saw something odd in the water Was it a seal? Can't be, we don't have seals around here. On closer look, it turned out to be a buck deer that was WAY off course. He was desperate and barely staying afloat.

I've seen deer swim a river or bayou before. When you see that, the first thing you notice is that they are powerful swimmers. Their head and shoulders are out of the water and they make surprisingly good headway. This critter was just keeping his nose up and lo oked like he'd been swimming all night long. In fact, he was so warn out that he swam toward the boat probably thinking it looked enough like land to him. When he got closer though, he wasn't sure what to make of the two dudes on board, and backed off.

So, since the fish weren't biting, we thought we'd give this buck a hand. Turns out Bo grew up around cows and was really handy with a bowline. He lassoed the deer on the first try! Bo grabbed his neck, I grabbed the flank, and we barreled over backwards into the boat. Before I knew it, Bo was on top of him and had him tied up just like a calf.

We hit the throttle and shuttled him to the closest beach -
Kent Point. I beached the boat and we carefully unloaded the deer onto the sand. The whole time we kept thinking he was going to kick the snot out of us. He never did thou gh; he was totally spent. We untied him and jumped back. Too weak to stand, he just sat there quivering. We even picked him up again and put his feet underneath him, but he still couldn't walk. Don't know if he made it or not, but I think his chances were vastly improved. Hopefully he recovered after time. When you're out & about, ya just never know...

Good Save

I know the deer thanked you.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:31 PM

I've seen both bear and deer swimming in lakes that i was fishing on.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:53 PM

Last year while pre-fishing for a tourney on Rice lake a friend and I had the same thing happen but it was a small fawn,we gave it a hand back to shore and it ran about 25yds and looked back as if to say thanks then walked into the woods.The thing was so tired it just let us grab it and pull it to shore without a struggle, just a few bleats.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

Thats pretty cool. They get out in the water here at the Lake of the Ozarks sometimes and swim across the channel or a cove. Congrats to those guys and Bake North.