Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tripod Stands?

Old 08-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tripod Stands?

For some reason I don't really want to setup one of the full box stands that seem to dominate the landscape around my property. I've been looking at the tripod stands and Academy has a Strongbuilt 16' tripod stand with a deluxe 40"x40" platform for sale right now for around $220.

This seems like a pretty good deal and at that price I could put 2 or 3 up around my property in prime spots for alot cheaper than a regular blind.
What are the drawbacks for putting up these tripod stands? Anything in particular to look for?

Here's a link to the stand in question:
http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/stands_tripod

I would be using it for deer and wild hogs.

Thanks, Nathan
Old 08-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tripod Stands?

I love them. The ones I orderhave the 360 rotate seat and attached rifle rest. They are also very quick and easy to assemble. I just make sure I give myself some good cover. Here is a link to the stand I am referring to, not quite astall and the platform is smallerbut the price right now is ridiculous,$99 or $89 if you are a member of Sportsmans Guide Buyers Club. Shipping on big stands is usually pretty high though.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=221820
Old 08-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Hunting tripod stands can work!! I hunted a tripod stand that was in a fence row that jutted out in to a field. It works and is very concealed. They can be awesome stands as long as they are concealed!! Good luck with them!
Old 08-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

We have a couple...Reasons I like...Fairly easy to move, if you need to get it in a better spot...

Reasons I don't like....Harder to lock vs a box stand with door and lock...
That 40x40 Strong Built is actually kinda small for me (6'5" and 250)...Its hard for me to get in and out of and the bottom flexes when I shift my weight, so I don't hunt them, let my smaller buddy use them...
Old 09-02-2007, 09:24 PM

I have used them for years because of the costs involved. The downfalls are few mainly the being exposed to the elements. I would recommend placing a layer of carpet on the grate to keep the sound of your movements silenced and wrap the cage with burlap or some concealing material. I have bow hunted out of tripods for many years and like them. You ougth to check out the new Gander Mountain opening up in Lubbock and guns up! I was glad to see a post from my college town.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

I just put up one last weekend. This was a 17 foot at the platform model. API is the brand I believe. I love it so far. We wrapped it in burlap. The only drawback is that there is not a whole lot of room up there and ours was a pain to put together but I love the height and the mobility of them.
Good luck!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:40 AM

I bought the one from the Sportsmanguide last year when they sent me an email special for only $79.99. Bought it, easy to set up, sturdy (small platform, tough to get on/off) but placed it in a poor location.

This year, after more scouting found a better location on fields edge tucked away in some trees giving me an open view of some small succession of maples and food plot. I use the trees next to me to hang my back pack and etc.

Some could say just buy a ladder stand, but this unit, I don't have to take apart. Just tilt it over into back of wagon hooked to my ATV and can transport from one location to another in a jiffy if need be. No straps, buckles etc.

JIMO, Rod.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:48 AM

never used one
Old 09-07-2007, 09:47 AM

I have always been partial to this tripod.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20051_TGP&rid=&indexId=cat20051&nav Action=push&masterpathid=&navCount=2&p arentType=index&parentId=cat20051&id=00328 71
Old 09-07-2007, 09:52 AM

Red Lion, I also have this one for weather protection. Very sturdy as well.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=210559

Quick Reply: Tripod Stands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.