Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Everyone's Favorite Recipe???

Old 08-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default Everyone's Favorite Recipe???

With many deer kills on the herizon for all of us crazed bowhunters, some new recipes to wet the mouths and give some flavor-driven incentive to this seasons ambition would be just what we need to get even more excited about the upcoming season! Whats everyone's favortie venison recipe??

Here is my fave:

Spicy Deer Strips (per 1 lb. deer meat)

3 tbs. brown sugar 1 tsp. garlic powder
4 tbs. soy sauce 1/2 tsp. red pepper
2 tbs. corn starch or flour1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 lb. venison (pref. steak)

Butter flavored crisco for frying.

Blend ingredients to make a thick, sticky batter. Vary amounts of soy sauce and corn starch to get the right consistency. Cut venison into thin stips about half inch think and 2-3 inches long. Heat skillet with crisco to about 350F. Coat the stripswell with the batter, stir if needed. Add strips one at a time to the skillet until you have a small batch. fry until brown. They will be sticky and gooey, do not overcook. you can test them and get an idea of how long to cook them. Have the oven on warm and put them on a plate with a paper towel to soak grease and you will be grabbing them out of the oven all day, they are delicious!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Everyone's Favorite Recipe???

The deer strips sound yummy.. [8D]

My favorite thing is Deer Jerky nick named by my lovely wife as "Bambi Candy"
I make 3 types, regular, pepper, and cajun.

I have everyone addicted to it here at work, family loves it, even ship it to friends in Louisiana.Have people give me entire deer minus the back straps to make it. Been told numerious times to market it and sell it. But finding a supply of meat other than hunting season isa problem.

Won't give the whole ingrediants list out, but one secret is to not use Soy Sauce, instead replace it Moores Marinate. Similar to soy sause but with a better flavor and added kick to it. Also adding some Teriyaki sauce adds a great taste but not too much.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:16 PM

I like deer jerky more then any thing , that and sausage , I put about 1/4 bottle of liquid smoke( little bottle)to one bottle of whistershire sauce , and a little bit of dales seosoning but its reall salty so I dont like to use alot of it and once you put it in the oven or dehidrator sprinkle it with cyan peper and black peper while its still wet so it will stick . Its simple and easy to make and reall good try it .
Old 08-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

Really good and easy to make till you have to listen to my wife complain about me having 2 dehydrators going all day and night for all of hunting season.

The smell of my house during this period is to die for.. Everyone comes in and smells it and instantly asks if I have any made.. Normally got 4 or 5lbs close by.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

it seems i can never quite get my jerky mix right, i love to make it to take on stand with me but i haven't got it to where i have a perfect blend yet. do you slice your own jerky or do you grind and shoot it???
Old 08-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

grind upabout 10lbs or soadd all my ingrediants and stir and stir.. Let sit in fridge over night to absorb as much liquid as possible into the meat.

Then use a jerky gun to put it on the trays. Can sprinkle pepper, cajun spices and stuff on top once on the trays to give it a added kick.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:37 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Krypt Keeper

Really good and easy to make till you have to listen to my wife complain about me having 2 dehydrators going all day and night for all of hunting season.
Krypt Keeper, what are you using for dehydrators?Some of them out there look really cheap, like they wouldn't last too long.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Frankly, I use deer for just about any recipe that you can use beef in...
Here is a good one I made up in college (30 years ago).....

I cook this in a crock pot...Remember when I got my first one, I start in the morning and let it cook all day on low.....

Cut/cube and put in bottom your favorite veggies, I use....

3 medium potatoes
1 onion
2-3 carrots
mushrooms
1/2 bell pepper

One deer roast, about the size of your 2 fists or about a pound, wrap it in bacon, salt and pepper and make a pint of your favorite BBQ sauce, or for you guys that can't cook, go by some at the store....

Squeeze 2 lemons over all...Cook all day....or all night...enjoy...
Old 08-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

One is actually one of them Ronco ones you use to see him sell all types of stuff on TV infomercials. I got it as a gift around 8 years ago. Downside is there is just a heating element in the bottom and you must stay on top of your tray rotation with it, but works good for what it is. Takes normally about 12 - 15 hrs to do an entire batch.

The other one I got (I forget the brand got it at Target) is also a round 5 tray like the Ronco one but has a fan to help circulate the warm air in it. Also takes up less space than the Ronco one. Usually one tray rotation is only needed for each batch in this one.

Some of the newer onesare nicerand come with thermostatsand are basically fool proof to where I am in a cycle of when I putmy meat on and then know when it needs to be tended to for rotationor taken off all together.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

sounds good, i will give it a try! i am having venison chili tonight, i know its hot out but it still tastes the same.....excellent! had some fresh tomaters and had a hankerin for deer so im fillin' up wit chili tonight! anyone have any more recipes?

Quick Reply: Everyone's Favorite Recipe???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.