Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you have to be in a tree to get a deer ? >

Do you have to be in a tree to get a deer ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you have to be in a tree to get a deer ?

Old 08-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do you have to be in a tree to get a deer ?

blinds are great for hunting! My father is slowly phasing stands out of his hunting and using ground blinds more and more... not to mention he has shot more deer than me the past 4 years, most of his have come from blinds..
Old 08-28-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed all my deer from the ground.
OK, when i started hunting a few years back my wife and kids asked me not to climb a tree so they didn't have to worry about me falling out. So i've never actually been up in a tree.
probably not one to compare then but i know it can be done from the ground
Old 08-29-2007, 02:33 AM

My Grandpa use to kill them sitting on a 5 gallon bucket watching hay fields..No Camo, scent killer, or nothing...He use to tickle me when he was with us hanging stands..saying i dont know what you need that junk for..looks like a waste of money to me. and then he'd laugh..He never mounted anything andI dont believe he cared he would shoot the first one he seen..He said you cant eat the horns..
Old 08-29-2007, 08:39 AM

I have killed all of my deer from the ground. I've had my chances in a stand but have only gotten lucky while still hunting and hunting from a popup blind.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:35 AM

Find a big White Oak flat or holler with nice acron crop. Kick the leaves away from a dig tree. Make sure there aren't any rocks or roots to poke you in the backside and have a sit with the wind in your face. I'veshotabout half my deerthis way.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I've killed deer from a tree stand, from a ground blind, and just sitting against a deadfall. You just have to be a little more vigilant about movement.

Years ago, my Dad would sit on a stump on the end of a wooded point and killed several with a cigarette smokingbetween his lips. I guess that was his version of scent control back in the 70s!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:22 PM

yes you can shoot from the ground .i have shot plenty from the ground .,, make sure you play the wind and keep the background thick if you can .,here is one that i got 2 years ago out of a amerstep blind., be as scent free as you can .,

Old 08-29-2007, 08:25 PM

and here is my Buddy's deer that he also shot from the ground .,one with a bow and the other with a 12ga.,

Old 08-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

I have harvested 2 150+ class bucks from the ground - no blind - one with no camo - brown coveralls - I have encountered huge deer from ground positions - being a big person I feel more comfortable hunting this way with a gun - using a bow from ground level is a different story - I will use treestands in these situations early in the year - If the buck is hot and heavy during the rut he will probably not pay must attention to a big fellow resting against a big oak! He has other things on his mind!
Old 08-30-2007, 05:19 PM

Congratulations on the bucks ! If I could ever get one like that I would stop trying.They don't get that big here in the SE Mo. Ozarks. My deer hunting may be coming to an end. I lost the only good spot I had to hunt in North Mo.and I'm getting crippled up so much It's hard for me to walk much less pull one out of the woods. The conservation dept. has given me a handi-capped permit to shoot out of my truck But as youknow I can't get the truck towhere the deer are. Also 4 wheelers are not allowed on state conservation areas and most national forest in Mo.

Quick Reply: Do you have to be in a tree to get a deer ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.