Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ATV Question

Old 08-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ATV Question

I have some experience with the 250cc quads.

I use to own a Kawasaki 220 Bayou many years ago. I used it to get several deer out of the woods. I now have a bigger 4x4 quad.

I got my daughter a Suzuki Ozark and my wife has a Honda Recon.

Yes, those 250cc quads will get you back in to your hunting area and haul out a deer as long as the hills aren't very steep. Its not that it won't have enough power ( it will) it is that with a deer on the back rack it will lift the front wheels off the ground and may possibly flip over while going up a hill.

Of the quads mentioned the Ozark is a little better in power, handling, suspension, speed and comfort.

The Recon is good but the Ozark is just a bit better.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: warny

My grandfather hauled many moose out with his 200 fourtrax.Try to find a Honda if possible.They are like tanks.
Another great fourwheeler with a rep to back it up for sure!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I traded for a 2003 Yamaha Kodiac 400 4x4 ....Ive never owned a Yamaha before but this one seems like it will do the job ....

dd
Old 08-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't have to necessarily have to put the deer on the rack - you can always drag it.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

A 250 or smaller is fine to get into the woods and pull deer out. But dragging, pulling and carrying more weight than recommended can cause transmission and motor damage down the road. Anyone who owns an ATV or motorcycle knows that they aren't cheap to repair. Something so simple as over-reving the motor before shifting gears can bend the valves. It'll run fine, but will be hard starting. Something that most wouldn't notice, until it completely stops running and they're told the motor needs a rebuild. Add terrain into the mix and quite a few other problems can also begin to exist. The rider, accessories, gear and a deer not only affect the performance but also the handling.

Can you extend the recommendations of use? Yes. Will it all be safe and covered under warranty? No. Spmetimes it's better to wait and pass on what you can afford until you can afford what will be the safest to use.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:37 AM
Spike

Wow!! I expected some replys but you guys went way beyond my expectations. I really appreciate all the advice. I will be sure to factor in all this in my decision. Thanks alot fellas.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as the steep hills go...even on my 400 the deer ALWAYS go on the front rack. With that extra weight on the front the stability is pretty good even on the steep hills. Thats how I hauled them on the Recon as well.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Kawasaki 250 bayou and It will do the trick, it will also handle smaller trails easier and fit in the back of my ford ranger. If it is really muddy terrain you can get it stuck though, but it was cheap and its definately all i need.
I put deer on the front rack and us two straps on the legs back to the rear rack. it will steer better with the deer on the front than on the rear.
I race motorcycles (drag race) and I have owned over 20 kawasaki's in my life. I have never ever been able to tear one up, My current drag bike has over 2000 drag strip runs, one of my bikes did the same thingfor 5 years of drag racing and I retired it and set it back up for street riding, Its my street bike now. still not one single problem other than tires and clutches.
Kawasaki's are tuff bikes.
Kawasaki is the biggest manufacturer, motorcycles are a very small part of what they do, they dont build cars or generators, they build ships and airplanes.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

i have a kodiak 450 and it hauls basically anything. it also goes thru, under, around, over, and anythign else you can imagin. i hardly ever use my 4 wheel drive, especially not when hauling deer. i have only had one sitation where i couldnt get out, someone must have dug a 5 foot by 5 foot by 5 foot hole in the ground and it was raining, well long story short, i didnt see it and it was night time and i flew right in it lol. it sort of turned into a boat lol. but it took a while for me to pull it out. so i would say if you have the money, i would spend a little extra to be sure that you have all the hauling power you need, but if your $ wont support that, then i gauruntee a 250 will do pretty much all you need. i guess it depends on what exactly you need it for. but i cant think of anything that could really stop a 250cc, b/c my 450 will take on basically anything lol. good luck
Old 08-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

I have a Kawasaki 250 bayou and It will do the trick, it will also handle smaller trails easier and fit in the back of my ford ranger. If it is really muddy terrain you can get it stuck though, but it was cheap and its definately all i need.
I put deer on the front rack and us two straps on the legs back to the rear rack. it will steer better with the deer on the front than on the rear.
I race motorcycles (drag race) and I have owned over 20 kawasaki's in my life. I have never ever been able to tear one up, My current drag bike has over 2000 drag strip runs, one of my bikes did the same thingfor 5 years of drag racing and I retired it and set it back up for street riding, Its my street bike now. still not one single problem other than tires and clutches.
Kawasaki's are tuff bikes.
Kawasaki is the biggest manufacturer, motorcycles are a very small part of what they do, they dont build cars or generators, they build ships and airplanes.

LOL Now theres one thing we can agree on Z. I have been riding Kawie quads since 1988 and I have yet to hurt one. I have a Bayou 400 now thats going on 13 with nothing but tire and battery changes. I did have to clean the bowl on the carb after a couple of winters. Good bikes!