Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anyone shooting pistols for deer in archery season? >

Anyone shooting pistols for deer in archery season?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone shooting pistols for deer in archery season?

Old 08-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone shooting pistols for deer in archery season?

I heard in FL. firearms aren't legal during archery only season. See Reb, I got the message. BTW, they aren't legal in LA. either, snake shot, rat shot, or whatever shot. But does that stop some hunters (aka poachers)from doing it? I here rifle shots in the distance all the time during archery only season. Shame on those cheaters. I'm sure there are a lot of so called squirrel hunters taking advantage also.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:39 PM

Sorrybut you are wrong as far as Louisiana. Quoted directly from the
Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Regulations:
"
BOW AND ARROW REGULATIONS
Hunting arrows for deer must have well-sharpened metal broadhead blades not less than 7/8 inch width. Bow and arrow fishermen must have a sport fishing license and not carry any arrows with broadhead points unless a big game season is in progress.
IT IS UNLAWFUL:
[ol][*]To carry a gun including those powered by air or other means while hunting with bow and arrow during the special bow and arrow deer season EXCEPT, it is lawful to carry a .22 caliber rimfire pistol loaded with #12 shot (ratshot) only. [*]To have in possession or use any poisoned or drugged arrow, arrows with explosive tips, or any bow drawn, held or released by mechanical means EXCEPT that hand held releases are lawful, and EXCEPT disabled persons wiht a crossbow permit and individuals who are 60 years of age or older may use a bow drawn, held or released by mechanical means.[*]To hunt deer with a bow having a pull less than 30 pounds.[*]To hunt with a bow or crossbow fitted with an infrared or laser sight.[*]To take deer while deer are swimming or while the hunter is in a boat with motor attached in operating position; however the restrictions in this paragraph shall not apply to any person who has lost one or more limbs.[/ol]
Eric
Old 08-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

I use a 30-30 T/C Contender.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:18 AM

In Iowa the late season muzzle loader and archery season run concurrently and your can also use centerfire handguns during it.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:42 PM

Been thinking about using my .30 or .357 Herret this year. Both well scoped.