Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Educational Hunting Shows?

Old 08-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Educational Hunting Shows?

is there such thing anymore? what happened to hunting shows that are educational aswell as entertaining? yes i admit, i like seeing people take big bucks but i would also like to learn how they did it. it seems to me that these new hunting shows are just about "who you know". i mean, when you hunt private land that has VERY limited hunting pressure, your odds of bagging a great buck are increased.has this increased advantage made some hunters lazier than others? when is it not hunting anymore? when is it just classified as "waiting"? when you are hunting land that has never been hunted before or very limited use and the land owner tells you where to sit and you just sit and shoot...is this still hunting? what happened to the hunter scouting all year and patterning the deer movement. is this a lost art?

i was currently watching a hunting show where the unnamed hunter was talking about just arriving on the "ranch". he said he only had a few days to hunt and wanted to get started right away. heck there are places i hunt that i scout ALL year long and only have 1 weekend to hunt. must be nice to have the connections or money to hunt large tracts of land that have limited hunting pressure, have a guide to scout everything out for you and all you have to do is wait and shoot. this style of hunting ain't my cup of tea, if it's yours...i'm not trying to bad mouth it. i'd just like for once to watch a hunting show that might teach me something i can use in the field, like different scouting techniques, better tree stand placement, better shooting techniques, etc.

sorry about the rant, just wish shows were more involved with the hunt prior to the kill.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Educational Hunting Shows?

I agree with You CamoCop.....most of the Deer Hunting Shows now a days are all about the Hunter and how soon he can tag out,there are a few shows that seem to be better and more informative about the actual hunt.I enjoy watching Deer & Deer Hunting because that talk about more than just tagging a deer,they show lots of different aspects of hunting and lots of helpful information about food plots.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:02 AM
Spike

I agree with both of you. I am a very "green hunter" and it would be great if I could sit down and be taught something that I could use. Instead I get nothing but shots of these paid men shooting monster bucks on a ranch or with an outfitter who has watched the same deer for months...years. Also they are always is Iowa or Illinois. I mean good for them...they have monster deer, but the average joe wants to see you hunt the small peice of land with one decent buck on it and show him how you take that deer. Maybe these "hunters" don't really remember how they got started in the first place.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can still pick up a few tips from hunting shows. You just have to know what to look for. Its certainly not something that your novice hunter would notice, nor anything that you'd take note of if you were not looking for it.

Certain shows are more useful than others. There are a lot of shows that just show somebody shooting a deer, and then recreate it after the shot... hence you see lots of different camera angles of the guy drawing his bow etc etc.

I have found the Primos series to be pretty informitive. And if any of you duck hunt, The Duck Commander always has a good bit of useful advice in his DVDs.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

The problem I have with hunting shows is that they are such a huge vehicle for advertising. I know that someone has to foot the bill but it getsanoying to be blasted with brandnames and gadgets. For example one of the shows I was watching the other day had a doe come up on a guy from downwind and stand under his stand. After the doe passed he turns around and tells the camera that the only reason the doe didn't scent him is because he was wearing Scent Blocker clothing.

The other problem I have with hunting shows is that most of them have a lack of emotion in the kill. Yeah these guys are excited but they talk about it like this sort of thing happens all the time. For most of us seeing a buck of that size is a once and a lifetime happening. I don't know about everyone else but if I were standing over some of those monster bucks I would be jumping up and down with excitment.

Even though there are some things I don't like about them I still get pumped up watching them.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

no one said hunting shows weren't entertaining, my complaint is they aren't informative enough. the closest they get to teaching us anything is testing "new" and "improved" gadgets and gear. they do not teach the basics. they do not show how hard it is and how much time actually goes into a "real life" hunting scenario. i would just like to see one of these big name hunters hunt in situations that most of us blue collar workers hunt in. you know, do your own scouting all year long, hunt public land and be succesfull like we do.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with you as well. Dont get me wrong I am a huge fan of Realtree Roadtrips. Its the only one I dvr. I like it because its entertaining. Although today I did watch deer and deer hunting. Its a very informative show. A guy made a shot that was a little far back with his bow.They cut away and critiqued his shot and showed anatomy and expalined how he had shot the liver and stuff like that. I may have to start recording that show as well.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer and Deer Hunting TV is pretty educational i think. But i do agree with you. Basically, hunting shows are shooting shows nowadays.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

yesterday i watched North American Whitetail on the Outdoor Channel. the guy shot a nice buck that ran in on him while chasing off a smaller buck. after he made the shot, he started talking into the camera in a regular manner (not whispering), while he was doing that...another buck walks under his stand. at no time does he start whispering or trying to be quite, he just keeps talking to the camera like normal people have conversations on the sidewalk. the buck walks under his tree and all around him.

now come on, who hunts in area's like this? i can see MAYBE if another buck comes in after you shoot one, it does happen. however to talk loudly while the buck is under your tree and the buck pay you no attention, c'mon.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:25 AM

I agree with you guys. It would be great to learn a little something while watching a hunting show. I would like to see a show where they follow someone for the whole process. Post season and preseason scouting, stand placement, entry and exit routes. Its great to see the big deer but I want to know how they hunted it. What did they do to outsmart the deer? I would love to see a few more shows on public land hunting as well. Kind of a working mans hunting show.

Quick Reply: Educational Hunting Shows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.