Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How to convince fellow hunters antler restrictions work? >

How to convince fellow hunters antler restrictions work?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to convince fellow hunters antler restrictions work?

Old 08-23-2007, 09:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How to convince fellow hunters antler restrictions work?

It all boils down to "who owns the property sets the rules", buy a huntable size chunk and set whatever rules you like, that's what I did.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kevin1

It all boils down to "who owns the property sets the rules", buy a huntable size chunk and set whatever rules you like, that's what I did.
Thats kinda true and mostly false Kev. The deer can range freely and get shot on others properties.

But, it is what it is................venison tastes better on the grill than on the wall.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:21 PM

You're not going to "convince" people it works because they're going to do what they want. If taking spikes and 4 points makes them happy, that's what they're going to do.

Personally, Idon't do it.I'd rathergo into the season knowing I'm going to pop a doe or two for the freezer. That waythere's still venison all winter and I'm free to hunt forthe horns I want. Wish more people thought like this, but who am I to judge-they gotta live with it.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:21 PM

I know what you are talking about. We have a great deer area. We all get a either deer license and we have a rule that we can only shoot a buck that is bigger then any that we have ever shot. This way when we get sons and daughters hunting they can fire away and take their first buck. Their is 8 of us that hunt together every year since probably 1997. I've gotten a 7X4. Alsao taken out of the land was a 6x5, 150 class 4x4, also three trophies by one guy. We usually see a monster or two every year.
But bback to the topic. We have a party that hunts a weekend ahead of us on the same land. Their motto is brown its down. Lot of bambis are killed and y bucks and spikes. Not much you can do but manage your groupo and hope for the best. If they shoot right away and at everything the big bucks never get a chance to step out in the open.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:17 PM

Tim, I agree with what you are saying. If people don't want to let the small bucks walk then DON"T complain about the absence of large bucks! I also agree with the others when they mention to enjoy hunting with your dad. That privilege is taken away all too soon. On our small piece of land, and on my good friends, the rule is, shoot does, and only shoot a buck if you are going to mount it. We let first time hunters shoot a buck if it's their FIRST one! After that the same rules apply. Once again, I'm not trying to tell everyone how to hunt their land. But it is a known fact that you have to let small bucks (yes, even spikes) walk if you ever expect to see large bucks. Jeff Laskowski
Old 09-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Bartender

Read the latest Deer & Deer Hunting magazine it states use age over antler restrictions which can be difficult.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck Tim, I feel for you but you are fighting a TOUGH uphill battle. [:@]

I am not a fan of the "shoot every spiker and forkie I see crowd", so I guess all you can do is hope they miss.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Well their thinking of Point restrictions here in Missouri.Thing is the biggest Buck Body wise was a very old 6 point whinch under what their thinking of would not be Legal

But also think of it this way if it wasn't any problem to kill a 140 plus Deer wouldn't it start taking the fun out of it.

big rockpile
Old 09-08-2007, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

When those antlers start tasting as good grilled as the backstrap off a spike buck I'll start buying into the whole deer management thing If its legal and they enjoy it, leave 'em alone.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm against antler restrictions. However, I favor letting young deer live...even the 8 point young deer, who would probably get wacked because they aren't under a "three-point" rule. I'm also for shooting spikes and forked horns, who would also live because they are under the 3 point rule, although they don't need to reproduce.

I've seen AR's in Arkansas for years...I'm against them.

Quick Reply: How to convince fellow hunters antler restrictions work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.