Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How to convince fellow hunters antler restrictions work? >

How to convince fellow hunters antler restrictions work?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to convince fellow hunters antler restrictions work?

Old 09-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to convince fellow hunters antler restrictions work?

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

When those antlers start tasting as good grilled as the backstrap off a spike buck I'll start buying into the whole deer management thing If its legal and they enjoy it, leave 'em alone.
It is this mindset that has made high fencing property so popular. My brother, son and I have been shooting does and letting young bucks walk for 13 years, and when they cross off our property, the young bucks become fair game. I was very proud that Texas finally legislated antler restrictions and believe that it should help with antler quality overall.

I don't condemn guys with the "if it's brown, it's down" attitude to deer hunting, but I sure hope they don't hunt close to me.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

When those antlers start tasting as good grilled as the backstrap off a spike buck I'll start buying into the whole deer management thing If its legal and they enjoy it, leave 'em alone.
I agree that backstrap is good eating, but the last time I checked, does have backstraps too.

For the "meat" hunter, if you are truly only interested in the meat, why would you not shoot a fat doe instead of wasting the trophy potential of a spike or four point?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Test
Old 09-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: retrieverman
I agree that backstrap is good eating, but the last time I checked, does have backstraps too.
Why should I shoot a doe when a buck yields more? If a trophy animal means that much to you then why force silly, useless restrictions on me when you could just hunt harder for what you want? The "big boys" are out there if you just look hard enough for them. You see, it cuts both ways.

For the "meat" hunter, if you are truly only interested in the meat, why would you not shoot a fat doe instead of wasting the trophy potential of a spike or four point?
A buck to us usually means a heavier meat yield for the effort and ammo expended than most does afford, and in a state like mine that only allows one buck because of another trophy hunting related restriction the infringement on our choice of what to shoot gets to be a bit much. If given the choice of an 80 lb doe or a 120 lb spike I'll shoot the spike every time.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

ORIGINAL: retrieverman
Why should I shoot a doe when a buck yields more? If a trophy animal means that much to you then why force silly, useless restrictions on me when you could just hunt harder for what you want? The "big boys" are out there if you just look hard enough for them. You see, it cuts both ways.
I don't quite understand the "you see, it cuts both ways" comment, but if you are insinuating that I don't hunt hard enough to kill "big deer", here are some pictures of my son and I with some of our bucks from the last few years. As far as hunting for meat only, if figure what you actually spend on hunting or have invested in hunting equipment, you can buy a heck of alot of prime cut beef.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: manuman

Most don't need 'convincing'. They aren't stupid , but they simply just want to hunt without placing additional restrictions outside of legal ones. If you wish to do so, good. I am more on your side when it comes to some type of restrictions,but not everyone wants to go that route, so leave them to hunt as they wish, and you can hunt, on your land as you want. It's no different than expecting all to hunt with a bow, long bow etc.
You bet!!!

Old 09-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: manuman

Most don't need 'convincing'. They aren't stupid , but they simply just want to hunt without placing additional restrictions outside of legal ones. If you wish to do so, good. I am more on your side when it comes to some type of restrictions,but not everyone wants to go that route, so leave them to hunt as they wish, and you can hunt, on your land as you want. It's no different than expecting all to hunt with a bow, long bow etc.
I agree with this also. Deer hunting means different things to different people. Some hunt only with bows and shoot big bucks only, some will shoot the first deer that comes by and others gun hunt and they have their likes and dislikes as well. One thing I fail to understand is how antler management betters the deer herd. If big antlers mean healthy deer then why do so many of them end up dead....lol. By the way, has anyone ever wondered if deer hunting would be as popular if bucks didn't grow antlers and would we even be talking about buck to doe ratios? I don't hear squirrel and rabbit hunters discussing which sex to kill... There's something MAGICAL about big antlers and it seems that to some, that's what deer hunting is all about.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

A buck to us usually means a heavier meat yield for the effort and ammo expended than most does afford, and in a state like mine that only allows one buck because of another trophy hunting related restriction the infringement on our choice of what to shoot gets to be a bit much. If given the choice of an 80 lb doe or a 120 lb spike I'll shoot the spike every time.
What I like most here is the averaging the cost of "effort" and ammo to justify this arguement. How many times are you shooting this spike?
Ammo and "effort" are the least expensive part of my hunting equation.

I shoot does every year but for herd management and not meat, and they weigh anywhere from 95-150 lbs depending whether I am hunting east Texas or NW Oklahoma. The bucks that I am shooting in Texas at 4.5-6.5 years old weigh in at 150-175 lbs, where as an 18 month old spike will weigh about 95-110 lbs. The mature bucks that I am shooting in Oklahoma are weighing in from 200-275 lbs. My cost per shot or pound, how ever you want to figure it, is still better than yours.

I already stated that I don't look down on "meat" hunters, but there are several holes in your logic. You hunt your way (hopefully along way from me), and I'll hunt mine.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I wasn't insinuating anything Retrieverman, I just get really tired of would be "great white hunters" trying to tell me to hunt their way when most of them don't go more than 100 yards from their truck. Nearly all of the guys I know who have heads on the wall got them more by luck than actual effort, and all of them would love to see our state impose ever more restrictive game laws to make it easier to get that trophy rather than more challenging, if you're the exception to that then kudos to you for actually practicing what you preach.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Been wanting to hunt WV.

As far as your question goes, two words. Media blitz.Get the media to scream it 24/7 and it's as good as law.

Quick Reply: How to convince fellow hunters antler restrictions work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.