HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   gps to areial map? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/203385-gps-areial-map.html)

duckdog132 08-21-2007 08:05 PM

gps to areial map?

do any of you know if there is a place where you can go on the net that will let you take your gps points and plot them to a areial map. i have seen other prople have areial maps plotted out on here and was wanting to do the same thing. any help would be wonderfull. thanks
Jeff S.

duckdog132 08-22-2007 12:23 PM

RE: gps to areial map?

any one?!?!?!!
any info would be great. or can it even be done. i know i saw it on here but maybe they just drew it up i dont know.

Rookie Bowhunter 08-22-2007 01:00 PM

I have seen people draw stuff like property lines, etc...but never seen one with let's say a GPS route on it...that will be great! But All the imagery I've seen it's outdated...

timbercruiser 08-22-2007 01:07 PM

With Google Earth you can use your pointer on the aerial of your area and it will tell you the GPS at the bottom of the page. You could hand dot it in using this, but there is probably an easier way to do it.

bigtim6656 08-22-2007 01:41 PM

www.mapmart.com they let you go to any point and they have good maps

also you can buy a high res map they mail to you
also as they did around the time the iraq war started mapquest has areial maps again

bigtim6656 08-22-2007 01:42 PM

forgot one go to you loc court house to the map department they will give you a areial for like 1.00 that shows the property line and how many feet each way

duckdog132 08-22-2007 01:51 PM

thanks guys. bigtim6656 im wanting to be able to plot way points and routes and such on my gps while in the field and then be able to transfer it from the gps onto an ariel map via usb cord or somethign to that nature. like i can do now with a topo map.just didnt know if they made something like that.if not i think you guys could me alot of money if you could create it. just remember me when you do..lol im not that computer smart.

dtk913 08-22-2007 03:13 PM

Interesting that you asked this question. I am a surveyor, and I have the software to do this. I have done it for myself on the ground that I hunt. Taken waypoints for treestands and put them on an aerial map. It is pretty cool.

Recently I was talking with a co-worker about making these maps for people as a little side gig, but I wasn't sure how much interest there would be. Maybe I need to investigate a little bit more.

Dan

duckdog132 08-22-2007 03:19 PM

dtk913 i change my maps so much(deer stands, trails, salt licks etc, fence crossing) it would be much cheaper if i could just find the software. do you know where i can get it and how much we are talking?

savage3006 08-22-2007 07:07 PM

You can use Google Earth to do that. It accepts GPS locations but to use the GPS menu you need to buy the Google Earth Pro subscription ($400/year). Otherwise you can do it using shareware available around the net and import your waypoints into Google Earth.