HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   what attracks deer the most? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/203335-what-attracks-deer-most.html)

huntohio_09 08-21-2007 02:51 PM

what attracks deer the most?

what bait attracks deer the most? (like corn, apples ect...)

thanks

geterdun2 08-21-2007 03:19 PM

RE: what attracks deer the most?

:)i would say a combo and corn and apples. have seen excellent results with both. spread some of both out and see what happens - you should be happy

SwampCollie 08-21-2007 04:37 PM

Depends on where you are, what time of year it is and how you use it.

Farther north you go, and the later into winter it gets a corn feeder will bring deer in from everywhere.

This time of year in the south they'd almost have to step on it to pay it any mind if you have beans growing nearby... and once the acorns start falling..... forget it.

There are places out west where water is VERY scarce that a big hole full of water will be your pot of gold.

Bottom line is this... when food/drink is plentiful... nothing will make deer abandon all other forms of food to visit your bait pile.... but when there is little of nothing in the way of vittles... then almost anything will do the job.

bhunter50 08-21-2007 04:44 PM

a hot doe in november beats any bait out there.

nchawkeye 08-21-2007 05:40 PM

Surely you aren't going to put our a pile of corn and then shoot the poor little creatures that come in to eat are you????

I prefer to hunt over one of my soybean or peanut fields.

whitetaildreamer 08-21-2007 06:39 PM

Hopefully an alphafa field I'll be sitting off of a hundred yards in the bush Monday moring first day of bow season.

MO-KS_hunter 08-21-2007 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: bhunter50

a hot doe in november beats any bait out there.
Hear hear. 2nd this for sure........

antlerking_fan_09 08-22-2007 12:01 AM

apples I herd if u feed deer corn it will make them sick plus it suck if u have one deer thatcomes in to your bait and will eat all the corn u put out it sucks but apples buckgrub turnups suger beats or just footplots

kevin1 08-22-2007 04:40 AM

I've found from vast experience that the sound of me leaving the woods is the surest way to attract deer to a given area...;)

wis_bow_huntr 08-22-2007 06:08 AM

Well learning how to spell helps. Deer read this too, only we dont know it lol.:DApples and corn work great. Acorns have more nutritional value though.