Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Treestand Question

Old 08-20-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Treestand Question

im gunna be huntin a WMA openin day of our bowseason..

do you think i should take my HANG ON stand openin mornin and hasel with the loud chain, or take it and hang it the night before? with the chance of it gettin stolen..
Old 08-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Treestand Question

I sure would'nt hang it opening day your gonna be in your stand before daylite ain't ya
Old 08-20-2007, 08:33 PM

thats the plan
Old 08-21-2007, 02:40 PM

I would suggest that you hang the stand as soon as you can prior to opening morning. I would suggest at least acouple of weeks before, but understand the risk of it getting stolen. I would hope that if you hung it the evening before with the intention of being in stand prior to sun-up the next day that your stand would not get stolen.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:17 AM
Fork Horn

If they are allowed get a climber stand, pick your tree ahead of time, then that morning just climb up.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:02 AM

Put a padlock on it...Take excess chain and circle it back behind stand and lock it to the chain thats holding the stand up..As difficult as it is to have to put these stands up..Imagine having to use a a pair of bolt cutters to cut it off..
Old 08-22-2007, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Freezersfull

Put a padlock on it...Take excess chain and circle it back behind stand and lock it to the chain thats holding the stand up..As difficult as it is to have to put these stands up..Imagine having to use a a pair of bolt cutters to cut it off..
Most stand thieves carry small to medium size bolt cutters, that's how they get them off the tree.

Take your hang on stand in several days in advance, but remove your steps/ladder sections as you come down. You can reattach them when you come back, and your stand should still be there. Secure the stand with a cable type lock like this one:Cable lock, lock it in place with the lock underneath the seat of the stand and no slack in the cable. Thieves always look for the easiest target, they shun hard work.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's the EXACT cable lock I had on my Lone Wolfclimber when it got stolen.[&o]
Old 08-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Freezersfull

That's the same thought I had until I walked to my tree first morning one year to find it gone... Thieves will do crazy stuff.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:01 AM

ehhh, just get a ground blind. lol, I would put it up around dark the night before maybe. Try not to let anyone see you driving to the hunting area or back and dont let anyone see that you have a tree stand. Once you get it up secure it MULTIPLE ways. If theives have to do more than cut a single chain it will discourage them so put on multiple locks/chains and such. Also like kevin said take your ladder sections down with you.

Quick Reply: Treestand Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.