HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   CRITTER PROBLEM (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/202747-critter-problem.html)

hillbilly deluxe 08-17-2007 10:52 PM

CRITTER PROBLEM

SO I HUNT NEAR CORN AND APPLES. SITTIN IN THE STAND, I HAVE MANY SQUIRRELS RUNNIN THROUGH THE TREES AND PLAYIN TAG ON THE GROUND. NOW I JUST COMPLETED MY FIRST DEER SEASON. I WENT OUT 2 TIMES (I AM IN HIGHSCHOOL SO ITS HARD 2 MISS) I DIDNT GET A DEER. BUT THESE SQUIRRELS ARE LOUD AND ANNOYING, SO IS THIS PREVENTING ME FROM SEEING A NICE DEER?

jedge1979 08-18-2007 12:37 AM

RE: CRITTER PROBLEM

I would say from the numerous videos I have seen of deer feeding around squirrels, coons, and pigs.....that they are used to them being there. They belong in that environment. They actually may help you in the fact they can drown out some of the sounds you make. However they might be limiting what you can hear greatly....

WvShapeshifter 08-18-2007 02:58 AM

I argee jedge1979! If their presence does anything it will help you.I have actually seen a doe and a squirel mess with eachother as if they were playin a game. Each time their noses touched they both would jump back. Priceless!!

furgitter 08-18-2007 05:24 AM

As long as turkeys and deer arent there at the same time you should be good.

BowKnutt 08-18-2007 06:32 AM

I hunt in FL where baiting is legal---And I love squirrels coming to the corn pile best deer watchers you can have--being on the ground they can see a long ways and will let you know when deer are coming!!
Now doves are not as good they spook to easy and are all the time flushing for no reason!!Keeps me awake though!!

Freezersfull 08-19-2007 02:01 AM

I think deer would rather have them around..When squirrels haul tail somethings up..Deer pick up on this and use them for burglar alarms so to speak..:DSmaller deer are just being cautious..older deer dont pay them much attention..Now as far as turkeys thats a new ballgame..Deer want feed through turkeys they go around them..Must have something to do with those spurs:D..Turkeys will have their way no matter what..

mlo31351270 08-19-2007 07:03 AM

I agree they can be LOUD AND ANNOYING somtimes. Sit a few days when they are not there, I think it is to quiet.

Mundt 08-19-2007 04:38 PM

I've always wondered about the red squirrels staring at me and barking, is that a warning sign that would spook the deer?

early in 08-19-2007 04:51 PM

Those red squirrels are a pain in the a$$. When they chatter a deer can't miss it. I do enjoy watching them though. They move like they're on crank!:D:D

kevin1 08-20-2007 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Mundt

I've always wondered about the red squirrels staring at me and barking, is that a warning sign that would spook the deer?
Yes it is, and that's why they sell wrist rockets... ;)