Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anyone not killed a buck in a while >

Anyone not killed a buck in a while

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone not killed a buck in a while

Old 08-16-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Anyone not killed a buck in a while

My dad owns 250 acres in middle tennessee, hickman county to be exact, and about i started hunting about 6 years ago when i was about 15and ikilled my first buck, a nice 9 pointer.I've had plenty of chances to take out the usual 6-7 pointer. I've seen HUGE 13-14pointers several times but something always happens.For example,we sometimes keep2-3 cows in our field, well here comes a huge 12 pointer out in the far side of the field heading straight towards me,its bow seasonand he's at about70 yards when all the sudden this small calf comes running out of the corner of my eyetowards the buck and scares him off. Then last season i see another 9-10 pointer, shoot him and he falls to the ground to which i thought he was dead. Look over 2 minutes later and he's moving around trying to get up but out of shooting range now. I get down 20 minutes later and the jokers gone. Apparently i hit him close to his spinal cord, paralyzing him for afew minutes. Anyonehad just a bad streak of luck lately or just waiting for "big daddy" to come across?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:58 PM

Default RE: Anyone not killed a buck in a while

Im 15 ive been huntin sence I was about 10 . Ive only seen and missed one NICE buck . Other then that I havnt had the oprotunity to kill one , Hopefully this seoson my luck will change .
Old 08-17-2007, 12:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

DANG![:@]You made me realize that I havent shot a buck in 3 years now... granted I passed on some due to "others" behind him. Although I later found out my scope was messed up so I prolly would have missed the ones I passed up too![:'(]Oh well. This year is my year for a big one...
Old 08-17-2007, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should have jumped out of the stand and cut his throat. That happened to my dad when he was young. I killed a buck last yr during bow season that dropped right where I shot him. He tried to crawl, so I had to get down and cut his throat. I hate having to do that, but it is better than the buck jumping up and running off.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Old 08-17-2007, 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: buck2323

. Look over 2 minutes later and he's moving around trying to get up but out of shooting range now. I
Shoot again anyway. At that point he's hit and wounded so Range is not a concern. Take a quess at how high to hold and let it fly.

why weren't you watching all along? If a deer drops immediately to a bow you should be worried. You've either spined them or they dropped down to hide. I've seen that happen personally. I shot at a deer and hit a limb that deflect the shot over his back. The buck dropped straight down. I guess he didn't know where the shot came from. He started belly crawling away. No BS I seen it with my own eyes.

heck, if I shoot an animal with a rifle and they drop in their tracks I cycle the bolt and keep them in my crosshairs for a couple minutes. I've helped track too many animals that "dropped in there tracks"the story is always the same: "He dropped so I thought he was done, Then all of a sudden he jumped up and took off."
Old 08-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

I have shot 3 bucks (4 point andtwo 9 points) in the last 4 years.(I'm 15 years old).
Old 08-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

A buddy of mine shot at a really nice buck but the arrow deflected off a small branch and he missed it clean. The deer dropped down and belly crawled out of there.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:24 AM

Only ever seen one legal buck in all my years of hunting and it was a full out run due to a hunter above us missing it and spooking it. Never even had a chance to get a shot it was just going way too fast past me. Other than that I've only seen a spike two years ago and a spike/fork combo last year and with antler restrictions I couldn't legally harvest either of them those two years.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:47 AM

Too damn long.....10 months.

Quick Reply: Anyone not killed a buck in a while

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.