Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

big buck tactics

Old 08-14-2007, 01:06 PM

Default big buck tactics

well on my 80 acre property and surrounding land there is a few nice bucks...the main one i am after this year is a nice 10 pointer who must be about 4 or 5 years old...hesbeen around for a awhile now...he is manily a nocturnal buck like the rest of the big bucks around here...how would you guys say i go after him...where should i look for him...what can i do to make him get up and start movin around during the day? i want to try and find his location and set up close to where he hang out during the day? and hopefully get him in bow range this season...

how do you guys try to get those nocturnal bucks?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: big buck tactics

#1 you ain't gonna get him to get up and start moving during the day. He is smart enough to know that days are dangerous - that is how he got old and big. He ain't no dummy.

I recommend you figure out where he beds, sneek in best you can. He is most likely only active in and out of the bedding area very early in the day or very late. You have to watch the wind! If it ain't right you either have to have a backup plan or just simply don't hunt that day. If you want HIM you will have to be willing tomake some sacrifices like that.

If he feels you are pressuring him or he gets suspicious - he'll be moving on.

Good luck.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

I would suggest that you hunt the deer very lightly until the pre-rut, at which timeI would schedule a week or two vacation and spend all my time in the woods after your buck!
Old 08-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If baiting is legal then I would suggest that you do that now. Moultrie has feeders for $20 that the deer bump to get corn. This way it keeps rodents and other species from eating through all your corn. Leave the buck alone for at least a month and let him become comfortable with the feeder before hunting him.

I would then place a stand on the trail that leads to the corn. Don't directly hunt over the corn. Also, try and stay as scent free as possible. Don't go in there with the idea that you are going to throw up a stand and kill him in a few seconds, deer aren't dumb.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:37 PM

yes ive been hunting that property for yeaRS NOW ITS JUST THAT BUCK IS NEVER OUT SDURING THE DAY...baiting is illegal in my state of new york so i cannot use bait to try and get him to come throughi have an idea awhere i think he hangs out...well where most of the buck activity is with the most scrapes and rubs...im hoping to really pinpoint where he hangs out all day this year and try to get him in within bow range...thats plenty of other deer around just this year im really setting my sites on him...i have one of his sheds that he dropped last winter crossing my yard during the night...hopefully i can really find out where hes been hangin out thios year and maybe get him in close...ive seen him from a distance but never close
Old 08-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: foxracerx74

yes ive been hunting that property for yeaRS NOW ITS JUST THAT BUCK IS NEVER OUT SDURING THE DAY...baiting is illegal in my state of new york so i cannot use bait to try and get him to come throughi have an idea awhere i think he hangs out...well where most of the buck activity is with the most scrapes and rubs...im hoping to really pinpoint where he hangs out all day this year and try to get him in within bow range...thats plenty of other deer around just this year im really setting my sites on him...i have one of his sheds that he dropped last winter crossing my yard during the night...hopefully i can really find out where hes been hangin out thios year and maybe get him in close...ive seen him from a distance but never close
You could get a trail camera and put it near where you suspect he is at. Then come back in a few weeks to get it and actually see what time he is moving. This way, if he is moving at dusk or dawn maybe both you can take him. I am reading a book and the author states there is no such thing as an all nocturnal buck. Hence, he is moving at some time and you need to figure out when, and the camera is a good solution IMHO.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:16 PM

Try one of those scent drippers that tie on a overhanging branch. Make a light mock scape, maybe just kick a few leaves to the side. Put some buck interdigital scent in it. It will only drip a couple of drops each sunrise when the heat hits it. Thisshould be enough to bring curious george around for a peak and maybe a shot. If it doesn't get him you will see the other bucks coming to check out the newcomer.
Good Luck,
Eric AKA: DeerDope
By the way, use a medium pitch grunt short and quite in morning around 7:00am. Here's a Deer Sounds page to listen to a grunt.
http://www.wideworldofhunting.com/soundsofwhitetail/WhitetailDeerSounds.htm
Old 08-16-2007, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't hunt him like I do other deer, especially younger bucks and does.
Treat him like he's a different animal because he is, that's why he avoided hunters for so long.

He's a big old buck andthat old expression is so true:" He didn't get that big by being stupid". He has learned how to avoid hunters, by knowing where hunters like to go. He doesn't only move at night, rather he's held up in areas that he has learned hunters will not visit. When he puts himself in "Safe Mode", he will locate places in his area where he has NEVER seen a hunter. If the situation changes and he discovers hunters are getting close, he will go to a number of other places that he has learned hunters have never been. Where's his favorite place...My experience tell me deep in the thickest, nasties, wettest, darkest swamp - or - bedding 2/3 on the side of a ridge, with a southern exposure, where he can see and smell danger. This is one of his favorite places. He will stay there most of the day.

He will pattern a hunter for fun. He knows from which direction you came, when you came and when you leave. He will smell you hours after you have left the woods, especially when hunters leave their scent behind by not wearing gloves when touching trees, branches etc. His sense of smell is legendary. It's his number one defense mechanism. You can never fool his nose if he smells you.

When he feels pressure or a direct threat, he knows when to stay put, when to slowly move out and when to crash away. He would much rather have you continue on by. Some younger deer, less "learned" may immediately run leaving them exposed to the sound of gunfire.

There's nothing mystical about these creature. Of course they get shot. Whether a hunter was just lucky that day, whether he was snifffing a hot doe that put himself in Harm's Way, whether he was hunted hard by a crafty, old vereran deer hunter, he does get shot. I'm just saying if I hunt him the way I hunt smaller, younger bucks with less "experience", I would be hard pressed to ever see him except during the rut.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Well put Jimmy!
Old 08-18-2007, 07:44 PM

Do you come out of the woods for lunch? Some hunters make that mistake when they are after MR.Big.Some say that is the best time to be in the woods for an old deer,betweem 11and1. Just a suggestion!!!

Quick Reply: big buck tactics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.