HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Early Season Tatics.. Calls, scents, and others (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/202020-early-season-tatics-calls-scents-others.html)

SGTLOWE 08-13-2007 11:53 AM

Early Season Tatics.. Calls, scents, and others

I need help with early season tatics. I have been hunting the pictured buck since last year. Bow season opens in about a month here in MO and looks like I will only be able to hunt the 1st week or so before I deploy. I have been getting pics of this deer of my cam for over a year now and he is almost 100% nocturnal. I get several pics a week of him at my feeder, but rarely during the day. I saw him once fromt he stand last year durning the rut but he would never come close enough for a shot. Any suggestions on what I should do to maximize my time in the woods during the early season. This is my own land.

Thanks

John

Note: The date on the came is off, the pic was taken on 08-07-07

GTOHunter 08-13-2007 07:27 PM

RE: Early Season Tatics.. Calls, scents, and others

Maybe make some mock scrapes to draw him in closer to your stand...then use 2 drag lines when you walk to your stand,1 being Doe pee the other use Doe in Estrous scent.

KYDeerHunter03 08-13-2007 07:32 PM

I dont know how late you will be able to hunt, but I have the same problem with a buck here. He comes around during the day but doesnt come close enough.

I asked people on here and they said to try a mock scrape. The thing is is that it might be too early to try one for you. Or maybe try some of that Trails End scent they have out. Its supposed to bring in deer during the early season. Or last thing would to try and find his bedding area and set up near a water source during midday when they usually get up to drink and get a little something to eat.

OwnerITO 08-13-2007 10:35 PM

You could also try a drip bag with some kind of attractant in it. The bag will only drip during daylight hours and it may be enough to pull that nocturnal buck out especially if you use a dominant buck attractant in there. He may come to investigate during the day when the 'other' so called buck is out and in his territory. Or you could use the same reasoning with a doe in heat attractant. You will know best, with deer activity, what would be the best at the time you are going out. Best of luck to you. Hope you get him then post the pics.:)

whitetaildreamer 08-14-2007 12:46 AM

Try to find the trails he is travelling to his feeding area. If he is not coming to you early enough then you have to go to him. If you travel down the trail that your camera picked him up on you and set up a ground blind perpendicular to that trail you might have a chance on him. Go in deep enough but not right to the bedding area. This system has worked for me before and might work for you also. Watch the wind on your way in and create a mock scrape where you wish to shoot him (make sure you have a good shooting lane from your ground blind). Best of luck.

DoctorDeath 08-14-2007 06:08 AM

One word ...C.O.R.N.

dd

matt1214 08-14-2007 10:37 AM

try the bedding area but dont get too close and stay all day if you can

cliffbama 08-14-2007 05:44 PM

Chances are this buck is around more than you think during the day,he is just not coming around that feeder except at night,so move your stand 150 yds but keep cross wind of the direction you think he will be coming from. GOOD LUCK!

bhunter50 08-14-2007 09:23 PM

I agree as well, he is using the property in daylight somewhere more than likely, so get off the feeder and on tothe trails heading from the bedding cover and see what you can do! Keep the wind in your favor!!

ericstacy 08-14-2007 10:02 PM

Go hear to listen to a contact call and a buck grunt. Usethe gruntat about 7:00am short and quite. Then listen. Other deer should answer you. Train your ear. Most of the time the deer will call from about the same spot each morning. You will begin to recognize the bucks sound. Start setting up closer to the deeper call. Try a climber up high to maybe catch him trying to sneak by on you.
http://www.wideworldofhunting.com/soundsofwhitetail/WhitetailDeerSounds.htm
Good Luck,
Eric