HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What kind of luck with deer scents?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/201218-what-kind-luck-deer-scents.html)

bhunter50 08-08-2007 11:32 AM

What kind of luck with deer scents??

How many of you die hards have success stories using deer scents??? if so , lets hear em! what kind of scent did you use?? what does everyone think about synthetics???

doc098 08-08-2007 11:34 AM

RE: What kind of luck with deer scents??

I'm curious myself. If anyone has tried using scent THIS season yet, how is it working out for this early?

nchawkeye 08-08-2007 11:59 AM

I have had good luck...But you do need to know what you are doing and the time of year to use...

We have a logging trail that runs through the woods behind one of our fields, its a staging area and there are usually 1-2 scrapes along the trail...
2-3 days before I hunt, usually during the rut, I go in and sweeten one of the scrapes with Tinks 69, I also hang 3 scent bombs along the trail...When I come in to hunt I drag a rag loaded with Tinks and freshen up the scrape and scent bombs...I have killed 6-7 good bucks coming through the area looking for does.

Bocajnala 08-08-2007 01:05 PM

I always use Docs deer scents... probably because I live about five miles from their farm and can buy right there. This oast season I was using "docs double doe" *I think*... It didn't bring any bucks in but I did have a doe come right to it, stretch out and put its nose on it. It offered a great shot and thats the only deer I took with my bow. I have a friend that kills a good buck every year for about the last 7-10 years using scents, not even calling. He loves them. So if used right, yes they are very effective.

kdsberman 08-08-2007 01:30 PM

Ive never had success with doe urine or anything like that. Most of my success is with a vanilla flavored scent. I did have luck last year with Buck Snort "Apple". Personally, i think those "sex" scents have too much risk. Theres no risk with a food type scent or curiosity scent. Just my opinion.

bhunter50 08-08-2007 08:58 PM

I have a similar opinion as kdsberman, I tend to feel like the use of sex scents can be risky and only appeal to deer in a very erratic mood during the rut when they are most vulnerable anyways, i have had more luck using antlers and a grunt or snort wheeze than when using sex scents for mature deer. i use them only during the rut and i do not use them on every hunt, i may use them only a couple of times a season. I am partial to putting the wind in my favor and crashing a nice set of antlers together and an occasional grunt to put icing on the cake, has worked for me in previous year.

Any more opinions on the use of sex scent for big bucks???

drs1961 08-09-2007 04:47 AM

I've tried a good many over the years with little or no results. Cautious curiosity is usually all I've gotten. One of the manufacturers told us thatALL urine based products start deteriorating in a matter of hours after collecting. He was in the process of finding some sort of new preserving agent. If that is the case, a deer would definately be able to know a scent wasn't fresh.A synthetic might be more attractive if they've gotten the odors copied exactly. Who knows but a deer's nose.

KYDeerHunter03 08-09-2007 05:48 AM

A guy I hunt with used Tinks scents last year on his boots and he had a big 10 point follow him right to his stand. As soon as he got situated he looked down and the buck was staring him right in the eyes. He had to shoot him with his muzzleloading pistol because he couldnt get his real gun up to shoot with.:)

So I think scents work, it just depends on how and when you use them.

bryant1 08-09-2007 06:38 AM

I have used the tinks 69 and the curiousity scents. Last yr I had a spike coming to my stand everday, so I decided to try a little experiment and see how he reacts to the tinks 69. He came in as usual, started feeding worked his way up to the tinks bomb on the ground, smelled it,spooked and ran 30yds. I also forgot to tell you this was during the rut. I feel these scents are very hitor miss and not too neccessary items

louddrummer69 08-10-2007 09:51 AM

The only luck I've ever had with scents are both from Wildlife Research. Trail's End #307and Special Golden Estrous. I use Trail's End during the through Oct and then switch to the Golden Estrous come November. Those are the only scents that I have ever witnessed actually working. I just use a drag rag to my stand and take it off and hang it over a tree about 5 to 6 foot off the ground.